CB650C Custom 4x4 exhaust question

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

bubbachicken

CB650C Custom 4x4 exhaust question

Postby bubbachicken » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Is there any reason really to change the stock exhaust from the 4x4 to any other configuration for the 81 CB650C Custom if the current exhaust doesn't have damage to it? What can be gained or lost from such a change?

Folsoml

Re: CB650C Custom 4x4 exhaust question

Postby Folsoml » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

I would say no. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

bubbachicken

Postby bubbachicken » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Folsoml wrote:Welcome to the forum, by the way!

I would say no. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks, and thanks for the reply. I was leaning that way, especially as this was my learner bike (have other ideas in mind for later) and I really did not want to sink more than necessary into it to keep it acting nicely so that I could sell it for the small sum I have in it at this point without entirely losing my shirt after the hidden issues the seller may not be telling me about (or that he may not even know, for that matter). He did tell me there were no oil leaks, and that the bike ran great, but to keep it on a trickle charger when parked at home. I am not considering any long trips at this point, it is for my commute (about 8 to 12 miles each way) and after I get more proficient, and have more confidence in the bike's integrity, perhaps some short runs to local destinations (within, say, 20-30 miles one way). I will likely rewire it before taking it very far from civilization, what with all I am seeing about the electrical situation for these bikes. This one appears to be well maintained, but we shall see in a few hours...

Oh, have any clue what sort of fuse (BUSS, AGC, etc??) is used for the 30 amp main for the 650 Custom (81)? I probably will need to get one on the way there...

bubbachicken

Postby bubbachicken » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:53 am

http://s1303.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 1.jpg.html

My new bike.

http://s1303.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 9.jpg.html
The other side of it plus the extra fairing!

I have got a LOT to do, but mostly minor cosmetics, she actually runs great, wiring so far looks good, have to replace the choke cable itself.

Picked up oil filter today (we actually stock it at the auto parts store I work in!) and oil, but I have to figure how to get the oil cap off without breaking it. The danged thing is stuck pretty tight.

I want to change all the fuel lines out to the amazing ones we stock at the store, and add a good inline filter, and the seat looks great!
I also have to get a couple turn signal bulbs for the rear. The stalks and taillight piece are brand new, but on the bike when I got it. No bulbs in the turn signals back there, but all wiring ready to connect. Taillight IS connected already.

Also came with a sissy bar with padded rest and back pocket (but bad zipper), and Pirelli tires that are so new they have all the rubber nibs intact and NO wear marks on the sides at all. TONS of tread on tires.

Bike has something like 19,400 miles on it, 1981 model. Sounds very quiet, but runs strong. Also picked up plugs specifically for it (we stock those too), but haven't looked at the current ones yet. Figured it would not hurt to have a few around, after I replace the current ones with these new ones. At least I will know the ones in it ARE new for sure.

I have some issues though with something. Let me see if I can locate the pic I took Friday of the bad gaskets....

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:45 am

Looks Great!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Return to “Show it off”