1979 CB650 N00b

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

lagronethedestroyer

1979 CB650 N00b

Postby lagronethedestroyer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Hey everybody, I posted some pictures in the general discussion, but I thought I'de put it in the showoff section. I got a great deal, only $700. The guy I bought it from said the blinker was broken, the tach was broken, and that it wouldn't self-charge it's battery. Well, I spliced in a missing wire for the blinker, wiped some old sticky grease out of the tach, replaced the battery, and derusted the tank. Everything works flawlessly. The battery reads a little over 14v at 4,000 rpm. I threw some Seafoam in the tank and a little in the oil and detailed the thing for HOURS. These pictures are the ones from the craigslist Ad I bought it from, so it's actually cleaner now. Only 7,300 miles.
Of course there's a slight oil leak from the head gasket, but not enough that it really worries or bothers me. I just check the oil every day or two. I've had a few minor issues, and I've asked plenty of stupid questions on here, but everything has worked itself out.

I'm probably going to eventually get a cafe style front fairing and that's about it.
Thanks for looking

- Pierce
Attachments
CB650rear.jpg
CB650rear.jpg (64.95 KiB) Viewed 9293 times
CB650.jpg
CB650.jpg (62.35 KiB) Viewed 9293 times

Volker_P

Re: 1979 CB650 N00b

Postby Volker_P » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:05 am

lagronethedestroyer wrote:Of course there's a slight oil leak from the head gasket, but not enough that it really worries or bothers me. I just check the oil every day or two.

The oil you have to refill is not the tiny bit of a leak but the oil it blows at high rpm.
You would have a real unacceptable mess if a leak alone would cause the need to refill. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

lagronethedestroyer

Postby lagronethedestroyer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 am

Volker_P wrote:
lagronethedestroyer wrote:Of course there's a slight oil leak from the head gasket, but not enough that it really worries or bothers me. I just check the oil every day or two.

The oil you have to refill is not the tiny bit of a leak but the oil it blows at high rpm.
You would have a real unacceptable mess if a leak alone would cause the need to refill. :wink:

Fortunately I haven't had to refill her yet, I'm just keeping an eye on the level. Thank god she doesn't drink, smoke, or piss oil. Yet. :lol:

I was looking at your thread on the oil seal support rings here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2953 ... I don't plan on breaking down my engine any time soon, but I have the means to fabricate these... did they prevent leakage? Did they work?

I figure if Volker can't keep a head from leaking then we're all doomed to permanently leaky engines.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:06 am

Sorry, no test yet. I still hope someone else may like to try this as I don't like to open an engine just for that before I have a oil leakage worth it. :roll:

I managed to get a camshaft recently, so they might get into my old engine when I rebuild it. But in this case I could make longer bushings because then I could drill the cylinders oil line without risk. But even if the engine would be together, this does not mean I would install it immediately.

My present engine runs quite well, maybe I'll replace the cam chain next year just to be safe - another chance to insert the support rings although in principle only the head cover must go off for that.

But no fixed timescale yet... :lol:

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

bubbachicken

Postby bubbachicken » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:38 am

Volker_P, don't make me mail my engine to you!

Try your seal idea out, maybe when I strip my bike down (because it is possible if I ever get any money available, so that I can repaint her right, rebuild the harness from new wire and connectors, and basically eliminate the singular rust marks here and there), I might be able to make use of your seal idea! If I have to send the engine to you, it is going to keep me off the bike even LONGER, and I will start having delirium tremors as I withdraw. My hands are getting shaky already, and I have only been off her a month now! :evil: :lol:

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:53 am

This support ring stuff so far is just an idea.
Two of them exist in the box but they are not installed yet. I hoped someone might try it out meanwhile so one may get an idea if it is worth it at all.

My engine head is a bit leaky but I still don't bother enough to open it just for that. It has a new cam chain, runs great, does not smoke and so I prefer just to go riding for now. :wink:

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:50 am

I would gladly try out those o-ring supports if I could get some!
Any machinists around willing to make a batch?

It is a great idea, and should solve that pesky oil leak problem.

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:28 am

It seems like stainless steel capillary tubes of suitable dimensions exist, e.g.
http://www.aalco.co.uk/_downloads/liter ... e-tube.pdf
The problem is to get a small enough amount and then cut it to the length.

bubbachicken

Postby bubbachicken » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:44 pm

OK, I will bite.. Does it have to be steel??

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 pm

bubbachicken wrote:OK, I will bite.. How large does the ID/OD need to be, and does it have to be stainless, or can it be some other metal? Also, how many pieces of what length are required?

Volker_P wrote:Dimensions are 5x4.7x2mm,

This would be for just the supports as they sit in the o-rings.

MiGhost wrote:To extend the support ring into the cylinder to act much the same as the dowel pins do to locate the head. Drill a guide hole 5mm dia. x 3mm deep to enlarge the oil gallery to hold the support ring. This would make the dimension of the support guides 5mm OD x 4.7mm ID x 5mm H.

This would give a bit more stablility to the supports, and make sure that the o-ring is located correctly. More details on this are on the O-ring discussion

Any further discussion on this topic really needs to be continued on the proper post to keep the information together.

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

Return to “Show it off”