Hi all! Newby with an 80 barn find, going at it.

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

gggGary

Hi all! Newby with an 80 barn find, going at it.

Postby gggGary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:46 am

She shows 4400 on the clock and dust thick enough to grow crops. But the barn was dry and the bird crap is washing off. Bike is 100% complete and never been down. Rust ain't bad, and there wasn't even a mouse nest in the air cleaner. Key was sitting in the ignition.

Cosky's manual is downloaded and the carbs are coming off now. I pulled the plugs and engine turns free by rolling the bike in gear, sprayed some PB blaster in the holes. I have a new battery. New to the CB650 but I've been down the barn find trail just a few times.

That's all for now just wanted to say hi and thank everyone for the resources I'm finding here.

saber

Re: Hi all! Newby with an 80 barn find, going at it.

Postby saber » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Great find - looking forward to your updates as you get it ready to ride.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Nice!!!
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Bongskit

Postby Bongskit » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:07 pm

looks mint to me! of course without the dust and all! :lol: good luck with the build

gggGary

Postby gggGary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks for sayin' hi guys!

Hosed off some dirt. There is a bike under there.

pulled and opened the carbs

don't see any deal stoppers, diaphragm looks OK probably just the usual clean em up and set the floats drill.

got 120 122 130 130 for compression.
Good spark on all 4, sprayed a little carb cleaner in the ports and hit the button, she fired off, sounded good. All the electrics worked. Had a volt meter on it when I fired it and didn't see it jump so that might be an issue as you guys warned. But I'll wait till the carbs are back on and it's running to see for sure.

I see cracks in the ignition coils is that pretty normal?

Bongskit

Postby Bongskit » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:09 am

wish my carbs were like that when i pulled it off. it cost an arm and leg to have it rebuilt. that's very pristine looking bike! you've hit a jackpot.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:07 am

Nice!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

usbear

Postby usbear » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:55 am

Beautiful Bike! :D
You did Good finding that, in such nice condition.
Very Nice.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:33 am

Welcome here! :D

Really great find!
I won't worry about the cracks in the ignition coils as long as they fire. But consider to cover them against the wet with epoxy or at least tape them.
Guess the tires are hard and slippery, so be careful! Better get new tires soon.
Replace the brake fluid. From the color and consistency of the stuff coming out there you may decide if you need to open the caliper for cleaning.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

gggGary

Postby gggGary » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:38 am

Brake fluid? Oh I think I am good, it already has brake fluid dust in there, just add water and stir right?

gggGary

Postby gggGary » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Well thought I had the carbs finished up and put them back on. Air cleaner boots etc. all back in place. I use a plastic "lawn mower" tank for first starts. The good news is it runs and runs well AND it's charging, nice consistent voltage rising to about 14 volts at 4K rpm. Woo hoo. The bad news? No idle or low speed. If I can keep it above about 3K it runs very clean but falls off a cliff under that. It starts with full choke and will fast idle at about 80% choke but I can't idle with any less choke than that. So I guess I didn't get everything clean, back off they come. I didn't remove or probe the slow jets, bad on me.

carb 101 I used a ratchet strap to put the carbs back on the spigots, hook on one frame front down tube around the engine, through the front of the rack and to the ratchet block on the other down tube, they had been sitting half off for a LONG time. Someone had been in the carbs before, the mixture screws had the fins ground off. Accel pump diphragm is fine. IT would be nice if there was a better circuit diagram. Have I missed it? Like spray in here it should come out there.

gggGary

Postby gggGary » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Went back down, carbs off, pulled and cleaned the slow jets, reassembled, reinstalled, and I used that ratchet strap again I must be getting weak... Hit the key and wroom vroom, she's running like brand new perfect idle, revs clean the whole enchalada. Life is GOOD

Thanks to all who posted and the info I was able to glean from past threads.

Now to remount the real gas tank, R&R the front brake, and clean, polish, wax.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:29 am

Congratulations, that's good news!

Make sure that the tank is perfectly clean inside and/or install a fine enough inline filter. The filter screen in the petcock is not fine enough. Would be a real pity for your presently obviously clean idle system.

gggGary wrote:Brake fluid? Oh I think I am good, it already has brake fluid dust in there, just add water and stir right?

As brake fluid is hygroscopic this should work.
Which however does not mean I recommend this proceeding. :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Show it off”