1980 CB650 I got for free!

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

andrew6v

1980 CB650 I got for free!

Postby andrew6v » Sun May 26, 2013 10:26 am

Hey I'm new to the forum,

got a cb650 for free from a buddy of mine's dad. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it yet, It's not the prettiest, and doesn't have papers so I'll see how hard that is to get here in Nova Scotia, Canada first. It apparently would start like 2 years ago.

Came with an aftermarket fairing with an awesome 8-track player 8) and crash bars. All the chrome was in good shape except for the wheels, a little aluminum foil took off all the surface rust, and the exhaust turned out quite nice.

I cleaned/derusted the tank through electrolysis, and painted the bare spots with some primer. Probably want to put an inline gas filter in, as a previous owner put in some anti-rust stuff that flaked off a bit.

The starter works (turns it over), and everything lights up, but it will not start. I haven't cleaned the carbs yet, but one of them leaks from the drain screw. It's not seized open, and I'm sure the bolt itself isn't broken (haven't checked) but I figure it would be the o-ring that goes with it, any ideas where to get a replacement?

The turning lights turn on but don't flash, so I assume the flasher relay doesn't work, where could I replace it?

Anyways any tips are welcome, and here are some pics.

Folsoml

Re: 1980 CB650 I got for free!

Postby Folsoml » Sun May 26, 2013 11:35 am

Welcome here! Don't be too hasty to replace that turn signal relay until you actually get it running. I've found that sometimes the juice coming just from the battery is not enough to activate the relay. With regards to not starting, is it getting spark? Are the carbs cleaned to allow it to get fuel? Is it getting good compression?
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

my79650

Postby my79650 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Do the cleanup and change the oil and filter as well. Sometimes the filter bolt will seize to the filter case. Use a 6 point 12mm socket when you take it out. If it removes easily put some grease on the welded washer when you put it back together. A new battery wouldn't hurt it as who knows how old that one with it is.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Are you sure thats a 8 track? Looks more like a cassete size.
Great for the price.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue May 28, 2013 2:34 am

Welcome here! :D

Loks like a lot of work. Electric problems are often related to cable and contact issues on the 30 year old harness. As it doesn't start and your turn signals don't work, worth spending some time on cleaning out contacts and checking cables, fuses, etc.
Brake fluid should be replaced, probably caliper needs to be cleaned out, too.
Lots of more to do for sure.
Well, it was for free! :)
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Show it off”