R/R box getting too hot!

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

my79650

R/R box getting too hot!

Postby my79650 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:33 pm

I replaced the rotor with a new one; 2 ohms on the tester for the old rotor. Swapped the stator cover with all the guts in it as the 1 on the bike at the time had 1 wore down brush causing my charging trouble along with a rotor off my dead bike(don't know age of rotor). Had to solder the wires that were rotted in the harness and add some length; factory harness never has enough slack.
Replaced the battery with new as the current 1 was old and added water to it.
I have 55w fog lamps and a Vetter trunk with the 4 working tail/brake lamps; all using 1157 bulbs.; headlight is running a 50/60w halogne bulb.
After the major part replacements i did a charging test at idle; 12.67; then@4000 rpm 15.60 and climbing.
Tried spare r/r from parts bike, idle bout the same 12.60v; 4k rpm for 10 minutes and it leveled at 14.70v.
Did a touch test and the r/r was hot enough to burn my fingers!
I pulled all the light fuses and started engine. 4k rpm for 10 min. and leveled at 14.60V and cool to the touch.
Swapped headlight back to non halogen 50/60w headlamp and the r/r was lukewarm.
Replaced fuses for all the lights; no brake lights on or fog lamps; results were 14.70V at 4k rpm but it was too hot.
Figured it out that i was "overloading" the system. I drove for 3 years with all this extra equipment and other tham my butt getting hot i never thought anything of this.
I am going to go to the computer repair shop and get a small 12V fan to wire directly to keep a good airflow to the r/r.
With the shitty headlight and unplugging the trunk tail lamps this should reduce the work and heat of the r/r. Be better when i wire up a fan. Any thoughts people?

my79650

Re: R/R box getting too hot!

Postby my79650 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:41 pm

If the fan does make a difference in the r/r cooling then i am plugging in the trunk tail lights. If and when proper cooling is applied the r/r can and will handle the load, been 3 years without adding a fan and unknow age of rotor before it crapped out and the r/r is still functioning. Just want added protection for components.

usbear

Postby usbear » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:40 am

What did the replacement rotor measure for resistance?

usbear

Postby usbear » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:56 am

So these BIKES are designed for AIRFLOW to stay cool. ARE you running a fan in front of the engine when you run it up at 4k RPM?

Cooling IS a problem with these engines as they are designed with pockets that hold HOT OIL and it can not cool without sufficient airflow to cool down.

I use those rectangle window fans on high when tuning and it will keep the engine cool and cool the components which are designed for airflow also.

So yes I like your idea of a component cooling fan but how practical as it draws MORE power and Heat.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 am

I read about it on the SOHC forum. The trick is to get a small enough fan, say 3 inch by 1 inch thick with good air flow. Maybe 100cfm. Computer repair shops should have a few laying around to get rid of; plus a piece of heatsink aluminum. As for the power usage i got no idea on that. Try to get one with a built in temp sensor for say 100 degress before it kicks in; if not then just run direct when the key is turned on. As long as its not a power hog then it should work. As for the running issue just how much airflow does the r/r get underneath the seat and side cover? If i can get a small waterproof fan then build a bracket to draw the air in faster near the edge of the side cover where the gap is near the carbs that should be more than enough air flowing over the r/r unit. For now this is just an idea; wait and see how the temps are after running with a few things disconnected. Maybe rig up a switch to shut down the tail lamps and leave the brake lights still functioning.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:49 am

For now i am going to the local big rig repair shop; the local one has led tail/brake lights that may be the size i need for the Vetter trunk, changing those alone will cut the power budget back. I still don't know why in Canada none of the big box automotive stores are stocking led plug and play bulbs that fit the sockets. Btw the new replacement rotor measured 4.3 ohms on the cheap multimetrer i bought.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:01 am

I agree that with a big fairing and additional electric load it is a good idea to care for additional RR cooling.
As already mentioned running a bike for 10 minutes at 4000rpm on the stand is no good idea without a real fan.

But I wonder why it needs that much time to "level out". I guess you have some weak contact or a cable is overloaded with all that stuff you have.
Possibly this irritates the regulator, I'd rather expect it should react fast and reproducible.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

my79650

Postby my79650 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:54 am

No fairing; just the Vetter trunk with the 4 lights in it, 21w x 4= 84w just with the trunk tail lights; can't remember the brake light side with 5 lights; trunk plus fender. Fog lamps are of course run at night. Had this argument with someon else on the other site about the r/r box. I still feel that 30+ yr old electrical parts can just start going to hell if an intermittent short is happening, like 1 out of 2 brushes being wore down. Rectifier side of the box is fine; doing its job, Since i got everything apart i may as well bypass the r/r i got to use the ford regulator with the rectifier side of the unit. Everything runs back through the original wire harness so age and load have something to do with it.

usbear

Postby usbear » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:56 pm

I like the idea of a small fan on r/r .
Thanks for the answer on Resistance.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:04 am

That was with a cheap basic multimeter; no fancy settings; at least it lets me test my parts. The reading may change depending on the unit you have to work with, some meters are more sensitive than others on the tedious stuff.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Never got the fan yet. Pulled 2 of the bulbs out of the trunk tail lights; plus the shitty candlepower headlight makes a big difference with the r/r temps. As for wiring up the ford regulator to the current setup; no room under the seat for it; looks like i have to get 1 of those small rectifiers in order to do it due to mounting and space issues. But my good r/r box is performing satisfactory now that i reduced the load. Changed out a bad ignitor, damn thing would stall out when i pulled either plug wire from #2 or 3. I changed the coil on the right side. Top plug wire hole had oil coming out of it and the wire end was soaked in it. Do the coils have oil in them?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:07 am

my79650 wrote: Changed out a bad ignitor, damn thing would stall out when i pulled either plug wire from #2 or 3.

The ignition is in series. This means if you pull #2, #3 won't fire either any more!

my79650 wrote: I changed the coil on the right side. Top plug wire hole had oil coming out of it and the wire end was soaked in it. Do the coils have oil in them?

Never cracked one to find out but transformer oil would be possible.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

my79650

Postby my79650 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:00 am

Used my last working spare ignitor box. Either i locate another used one or get the parts for the GM upgrade. Off for a week so i should be able to get the parts locally.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Ignition is fine. Out for a drive tonight after dark. Went to town 22km away; worked fine. After coffee and i drove another route home the lights got dim, haf to shutoff the fog lamps, then lost the signal lights; just made it home and it wouldn't start after i shut it off. I believe my r/r is finally crapping out. Will test everything again in the morning then post results. I do have a ford regulator on hande but no 35 amp rectifier, if the regulator is shot then i'll wire up the ford one and tie it into the bike rectifier, no reason why it wouldn't work as long as the rect. side of the box is doing its job. I do have a new set of brushes ordered but they're 3 weeks til they show.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:14 am

Rotor tested 4.4 ohms; stator tested good also, cannot remember the numbers but it did test good. R/R that's on the bike only works when it wants to. I pulled and plugged the r/r connectors in again and it did charge up some according to the headlight getting brighter. Looks like i have to get another r/r used or do the ford upgrade to the setup.

Return to “Show it off”