1980 CB650C - My very first motorcycle

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Plox

1980 CB650C - My very first motorcycle

Postby Plox » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Picked up my very first bike a couple weeks ago. Paid $800 for a running 1980 CB650C with a clean title and at least decently maintained.

There are a lot of minor things that need work in the long run if I plan on keeping her. Mismatched bolts holding parts, missing side covers and air box covers, etc... I was mainly concerned about a functional mechanical system so I could learn to ride a motorcycle and not worry about it breaking down every week or having to do a major repair before being able to ride. The front brake squeaks a bit, but still works. There are a few dings in the paint and there is a very slight gas leak from the carbs that I see after letting it sit over night. Looks to be either from the gasket or a loose screw in the float bowl drains (I tightened them all and it seemed to help a bit).

First thing I did was remove the carbs and spray a ton of carb cleaner in there everywhere I could see. Man, was it a pain to get those boots back on... Then I loaded half a bottle of cleaning product on the engine case and got years of road debris and oil build up to loosen up and scrub away. I'm planning on possibly repainting and cleaning more in the near future, but for now the priority is learning to be a safe rider since this is my first bike. Anyways... here are some pictures of her 33 year old self.

Some of the damage:

cb650

Re: 1980 CB650C - My very first motorcycle

Postby cb650 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:26 am

Nice!!!! but I might be biased. I have one the same color. If no one else comes through on the chrome covers I have set somewhere.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Nevernoluck2

Postby Nevernoluck2 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Nice bike, I'd like mine to be that color again. Lots of side overs to be found, $15-30 depending on the seller, left side harder to find but out there

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:14 am

Welcome here! :D

Looks quite all right for the money.
Clean out the tank and/or consider to install a fine enough inline fuel filter so the tough carb work needs no repetition. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Plox

Postby Plox » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:14 pm

I will plan on getting an in-line filter this weekend and as soon as I am low on this tank of gas, I will clean it out. I will do some searching, but do you know if there is a good DIY on tank cleaning or have any recommendations on how to do it right the first time? As long as I do not have to cut open the tank and weld it, I can probably get it done in my garage.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Remove your petcock and the interior filter. Plug the petcock hole (I use a bolt, and wrap it with black tape to make it fit tight). Fill your tank with CLR (brand name product for removing Calcium, Lime, and Rust) and water, and add a handful or two of small sheet metal screws. I left just enough air in the tank to make it easy to slosh around. Shake it up good (the sheet metal screws help scrub out the inside). Let it sit overnight--periodically going out to shake it up. Rinse it out the following day. I use a magnet on a wand to get out the screws. I vacuum out any remaining water with a shop vac with a piece of garden hose attached.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:49 am

For suggestions on tank cleaning, have a look at the fuel tank issue thread.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Plox

Postby Plox » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks for the link. I will probably try that out this weekend.

Additionally, I did some work last night. Cleaned the chain and removed an insane amount of debris. Didn't have pictures of this since my phone died and that's my camera. I did, however, get some pictures of two other interesting things! Sorry in advance for the large pictures, I can remove them and put links if needed.

Took off the charging rotor and found a bit of chipped plastic between the metal parts. Is this a problem or does it not matter at all?

Painted the "Honda" on engine cover

Plox

Postby Plox » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Worked on the gas tank this weekend. See album below. Had it all painted and ready to go, but I'm a dumbass and didn't want to wait a day or so to let it cure so I tried to put some gas in it. Ended up spilling some on the paint and destroying it. Had to scuff it all up and put on a new layer. Ended up going with a brighter red than the one pictured on the bike since I ran out of the darker color doing it the first time. Hopefully it will still look alright being so bright. I think I really liked how it looked with the darker red on the bike. I also painted the Honda "wings" with some chrome paint. Oh, also I added an inline fuel filter for good measure.

Album -- http://imgur.com/a/uQv00#ucFazdP

http://i.imgur.com/ucFazdPh.jpg

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 am

The yellow stuff is a hint to a rebuild rotor. Cracks at the surface don't cause trouble, but of course this does not speak in favour of the material. However as long as the rotor still works it is no problem.

canuck1sailor

Postby canuck1sailor » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:35 pm

I have a couple of spare side covers. You can have them for the price of postage. Send me a PM.

Plox

Postby Plox » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Just posted a thread asking for some help disassembling my master cylinder in the technical discussion forum, if you have good input on this, please let me know in that thread.

I wanted to update this post with some of my progress over the last week. I finally got the tank painted and cured. I have disassembled the front caliper and am painting that red as well. I replaced the old horn that had corroded too heavily to function. And now I am working on touching up the clutch lever and brake lever with new paint as well.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:26 am

Note that brake fluid is very tough for (fresh) paint so be very, very careful during bleeding the caliper!
To my experience paint on levers is nothing really durable. :roll:

Plox

Postby Plox » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:43 am

Volker_P wrote:Note that brake fluid is very tough for (fresh) paint so be very, very careful during bleeding the caliper!
To my experience paint on levers is nothing really durable. :roll:

Lol, I found this out first hand. There is a nice little naked strip on my caliper now. I'll fix it some day, but I was way too impatient to get back on and ride. I know I don't have the skill to make this bike into a show piece, so it doesn't really bother me that much that I ruined the paint... again.

Plox

Postby Plox » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 pm

Got these in the mail today! Many many thanks to canuck1sailor for sending these to me.

Going to get to work repainting them to match the color of the tank either this weekend or next.

Return to “Show it off”