My '79 CB650

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Rgmack

My '79 CB650

Postby Rgmack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:44 am

This is the only pic I have because once I bought it I hauled it off to the shop to get road worthy. Keep your fingers crossed it's not too screwed up.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (60.39 KiB) Viewed 5840 times

usbear

Re: My '79 CB650

Postby usbear » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Decent Looking!
Welcome to the club and Forum.
Whats to be done?

Rgmack

Postby Rgmack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:06 pm

The seller said (of course) that all it needed was the carbs synced, taillight wired and choke cable adjusted. I'll bet it needs more but I weighed the pros and cons and decided it was worth the risk. The bike ran when I checked it out but it would kind of choke itself out after a minute or so. I got a mechanic checking it out to get it up and running but I would like to do the majority of the maintenance. That seat will be first to go, doesn't it look way out of proportion?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:27 am

Welcome here! :D

"only carbs need to be cleaned" (or synced in your case) typically means "I have no idea why it does not run and did not like to care for it either".
Just ignore that and check things systematically. Start with verifying you have a clean tank. :wink:

Often the fine idle channels or jets are blocked causing trouble at idle. Playing with the choke then has an impact but this is not a choke problem.
At least that's what I think to hear out of your description.
Also make sure these carbs have already appropriate jets for the pods, stock jetting is definitively too lean with PD carbs (see e.g.: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=773)
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Rgmack

Postby Rgmack » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:43 am

I'm not going to get this right so bear with me, seller also said he did something to the carbs in order to run pod filters (something he read on chin on the tank) and the fuel adjustment screws weren't adjusted in.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:37 am

The "fuel adjustment screws" are probably the four idle screws that are accessed from the bottom, right?
It is important to have them there at all in basic setting (about 2-3 turns out depending on carbs), however their adjustment range is tiny and will not allow to compensate wrong idle jets sizes regardless complete irrelevance for riding.

Another question is if your carbs have the air cutoff diaphragms. In case they have and they are cracked, any efforts trying out jetting etc. make not much sense.
In this case, one may try to get new ones or block the channels, see e.g..
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=722 (page three there) and viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8781&start=6
Later carbs did not have them any more, so no urgent function.
To find out if your carbs have diaphragms, have a look behind the small, circular cover at the left side of the outermost carb #1 (left side). Unfortunately only the outermost diaphragm may be checked that easily for cracks.

This being clarified, one could start to have a look for the jetting.

But whatever you do, start here. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Show it off”