New to the board

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Dustin

New to the board

Postby Dustin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 am

Hey Everyone,

just wanted to say hello and I am very pleased that the cb650 has a great resource such as this forum!

I purchased an 82 Honda CB 650 with plans on learning how an engine system runs by taking mine apart and rebuilding it... if this is a success then i will consider biking to California or something like that!

I was wondering how to tell what model mine is? ie 650 vs 650 sc? and what the sc stands for?

As of today i am taking apart the top end of the engine and i am wondering what parts I should automatically expect to replace.. rings? gaskets? and if there is a good website i can order these parts from?

I've added a couple of pictures... Hope to learn lots from everyone here and assist in sharing new knowledge found.

cb650before.jpg
cb650before.jpg (67.63 KiB) Viewed 6809 times

cb650stripped.jpg
What i have done so far... getting closer to opening that engine up!
cb650stripped.jpg (85.19 KiB) Viewed 6809 times

MiGhost

Re: New to the board

Postby MiGhost » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:10 am

Welcome aboard.
The bike you have is an 82 CB650 SC Nighthawk. The last year of the SOHC4 (single over head cam 4 cylinder) engine, and the begining of the nighthawk model. The bike looks to be in good shape. I do see pod filters, and aftermarket 4-1 exhaust on the bike. You are also missing the front fender (rather obvious).

Before ripping that engine apart. Get a compression test done on it. It will help determine the condition of the engine as it is. So that a proper course of repair can be determined.

There are many online sources to get parts.
For new OEM honda parts. I personally prefer using Partzilla. The only draw back is that it will take approx 2 weeks for delivery of your order. They hold the order until it is complete before shipping.

For used parts. You can find a salvage yard in your area, or go the easy route, and use eBay (an excellent reference source if you are looking for a picture of a part).

The best resource you will find is the service manual. Either haynes, clymer, or the factory service manual. Also take pictures of everthing. They will help you remember how that wire was routed, or what order those little pieces were assembled. It also helps others to identify problems you might have questions about.
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Welcome to the forum! For what reasons are you taking the top end apart? Is it not running now? What is it doing?
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Dustin

Postby Dustin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:03 pm

Thanks for the reply MiGhost and Folsoml...

I have the clymer (bible) manual and have been using it to take apart the bike and taking pictures as I go...I love that book..

Thanks for the parts website i will definitely be using it.

Folsomi: i am taking apart this bike because at the age of 33 i haven't given myself enough of a chance to work on engines and i thought a motorcycle would be a much easier way to learn about the different components vs tearing apart a car.

Ghost... i wish i could have gotten a compression test done, but the bike started and ran before i started pulling everything apart and I am at the cylinder head now.. and its to much fun to stop.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Have fun with it!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:25 pm

Dustin wrote:Ghost... i wish i could have gotten a compression test done, but the bike started and ran before i started pulling everything apart and I am at the cylinder head now.. and its to much fun to stop.

As the bike was a runner before tear down. There will be no reason why it won't be a runner after. Take your time, and take pictures of everything.

Some helpful hints:
When you remove a part, put the nuts, and bolts back into the place they went. This will help keep them from getting lost, or mixed up. Parts like the cylinder head bolts can be pushed through a piece of cardboard in a rough approximation of their location to help you remember which bolt goes where (there are 3 different length bolts for the head). Some hardware pieces are no longer available, and a pain to try to find a replacement.

Any parts that need to have clearance adjustments done to them should be loosened up to remove any tension from them for tear down (specifically the rocker arm adjusting studs). This will help during reassembly as you will not be trying to work against the tension on the part to tighten things down.

Go to the local dollar store, and get some cheap white sheets to lay down below where you are working. Any little pieces that might fall loose will show up against the white sheet. Ever try to locate a tiny 1/4" ball bearing on a dirty floor?

While at the dollar store. Pick up plenty of different size plastic zip lock bags to put loose parts into, and a black marker to make notes on the bags as to what the parts are.

More later.
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

Dustin

Postby Dustin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:44 pm

Well guys everything has been going well... I just officially removed the engine from the frame and it went smooth.

I am wondering what i should tackle next to disassemble?
i have the lights, electrical, brakes, gauges, handlebars, tires.... im guessing electrical?

Anyways here is an updated picture...

bikewoutengine.JPG
bikewoutengine.JPG (538.21 KiB) Viewed 6753 times

Return to “General Discussion”