fork seal replacement

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

salzig hund

fork seal replacement

Postby salzig hund » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:27 am

How in the world do you fit the front seals in their place? my replacements are super tight. I've gotten a PVC fitting that fits perfectly over the top end with a flat flange end but the seals keep catching on the lip of the lower fork.... I've been stuck onthis for months.

Mainerider

Re: fork seal replacement

Postby Mainerider » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:42 pm

I would double-check to make sure you have the correct size seals; I've done many dozens of fork seals and never had that issue. A pic would be helpful.

Mainerider

Postby Mainerider » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:17 pm

Those are not the correct size; what is the bike? Also, make sure the side with the small writing/markings is facing upward; They look upside-down to me but I can't tell definitively from the photos, the visual difference between the two sides of fork seals is relatively minor...

jcasey007

Postby jcasey007 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:38 am

mainerider is correct, you have it upside down so will be harder to install anyway

they are a tight fit as well, with respect to size, I would say it the diameter of the chrome plunger is correct on the seal it is likely to fit in the bottom piece

but there again others may have more info, but in the picture they are upside down

Mainerider

Postby Mainerider » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:11 am

First thing: you have a substantial amount of pitting on those fork tubes; If you can't get them cleaned up sufficiently, don't be surprised if you still have leaky forks after you finally get new seals installed; round seals have a tough time holding oil in around a tube that is pitted and not perfectly round...

That said, it is really tough to tell positively from just a photo but my gut tells me those are not the correct seals. The seals are typically not tapered on either side so even if you flip them over and try to install them properly they will very likely still contact the fork slider. From the photos, you appear to have more contact than you should; yes, they go in snugly but they should not catch on the fork slider's lip like the seal does in your photos. And when I say snugly, it only takes a modest level of force with the fork seal driver to seat these oil seals. Remember, they are still only rubber.

Unless the sliders are seriously out of round (highly doubtful), I think you need to re-order the seals...

Lastly, a couple of installation tips:

First, as I mentioned earlier, make sure the side with the markings is facing upward. Next, place a strip of cellophane tape completely around the top of the fork tube and have it hang over the top of the tube slightly. Now lightly coat the inner and outer sides of the seal with fork oil and then slip the seal over the tape and gently work it down onto the fork tube. By doing this, you minimize the chance of damaging the seal lip by trying to force it over the top of the fork tube unprotected. Installing oil seals really isn't difficult but if you don't have the necessary tools and/or experience...

salzig hund

Postby salzig hund » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:47 pm

I actually happened across an old seal and lined them up. Sorry for a late reply, but yeah, totaly wrong seals. On a side note, I attempted to order seals through a local dealer and they told me EACH were 24 something something dollars. I laughed then asked for the part number and he told me he couldn't give it out... what an ass.

Before I order, does anyone have the seal part number for an 82 cb650? also, the old seals never leaked so i'm not worried about the pitting. THanks for the look.

Mainerider

Postby Mainerider » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:32 pm

51490-KBH-305 is, I believe, the most recent part number for the Honda OEM seals. Given the condition of your fork tubes I would stay with the Honda seals as opposed to the MotionPro or other after market seals. And those Honda seals should only be about $14 or so each, maybe less if you can find a set on eBay...

salzig hund

Postby salzig hund » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Return to “General Discussion”