Your other bikes

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

1980cb650

Your other bikes

Postby 1980cb650 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:41 pm

I've only got one, my CB650, but I'd really like a new bike, and I'm starting to save up for one. My top picks are Honda SuperHawk, Honda Interceptor, and Suzuki SV650S. If anyone has ever owned/ridden any of those please let me know your thoughts.

Anyway, what are your other bikes?

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:58 am

I only have my CB650c, but I've already begun a list of things I'll be looking for in my next bike if I ever get one. 1)a spin-on oil filter 2)fuel-injection 3)possibly a shaft drive or belt drive 4)better gas milage? I really like the looks of the 750 Shadow Spirits, but they don't have all of these things I listed. Basically I'd like a nice, reliable, low maintenance, V-twin cruiser 8)
1980 CB650c

Vatch

Re: Your other bikes

Postby Vatch » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:05 am

1980cb650 wrote:I've only got one, my CB650, but I'd really like a new bike, and I'm starting to save up for one. My top picks are Honda SuperHawk, Honda Interceptor, and Suzuki SV650S. If anyone has ever owned/ridden any of those please let me know your thoughts.

I've ridden the SV650 (not the the S) and the VStrom 650 (same engine). I was not impressed with the engines. My old 650 is more fun in that regard, better power and torque. The V-twin configuration just did not compare to the 27 year inline 4 :) Although the front and rear disk brakes and 6 gears (6th was an overdrive highway gear) were nice features. Plus I could see in the mirrors over 50 mph :roll:

My other bike, a '99 Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter 1500, is fuel injected V-twin and is shaft driven. I have had no problems with it (purchased used with 6000 miles on it). What I like is that the Drifter is push the start button and go. It starts well down to 10 degrees F and so is a year long ride in WI. It's very comortable and smooth on the highway and it's usually what I take for trips over 250 miles. It is virtually maintenance free. That being said I would not get a 1500 again. It was a good deal and it was the 41st Drifter ever made, which is kind of cool. On the highway the 1500 engine is great, lots of passing power left when cruising at 75 or 80 mph. Fuel economy at interstate speeds is poor, around 42mpg :cry: It's also a tank in turns at lower speeds. There's a reason cruiser guys don't whip around corners.

I test drove a 750 Shadow when I was shopping for the Drifter. That bike was smooth and comfortable and handled better than the 1500 Drifter. What I was not happy with was the high end speed. It seemed to be working too hard at highway speeds. If you test drive one get it up to speed. It was still a really nice bike, but my heart was elsewhere. There are tons of good deals out there on used Shadows and Suzuik and Kawasaki 800 v-twins (Volusias and Vulcan respectively). Volusias are nice rides too, test drove one. Avoid the Yamaha Vstar 650, severly underpowered for the weight of the bike.
'99 1500 Drifter

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:49 am

In addition to the 650 I also have a 1975 Kawasaki KZ400 twin.

1980cb650

Postby 1980cb650 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:05 am

Chris wrote:I only have my CB650c, but I've already begun a list of things I'll be looking for in my next bike if I ever get one. 1)a spin-on oil filter 2)fuel-injection 3)possibly a shaft drive or belt drive 4)better gas milage? I really like the looks of the 750 Shadow Spirits, but they don't have all of these things I listed. Basically I'd like a nice, reliable, low maintenance, V-twin cruiser 8)

Chris, my boss has an 05 Honda Shadow Aero 750. I'm not sure about the oil filter or fuel injection, but it's shaft driven. In my opinion it's better than the Spirit. I've riden his bike and I really like it. I can't decide yet if I want to go with a cruiser or more of a sport bike, but if I went cruiser, that would be the bike I'd get.

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:52 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that an overdrive would also be nice. I'm a newbie rider and I always find myself wanting to shift once more after 5th :lol:
1980 CB650c

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:01 am

I have also a 1993 XR650L, mostly for winter use and as a lightweigh touring bike for trips into the mountains.
And I also still want to shift further than 5th after all the years with the CB650. :lol: It went a bit better since I have a 17 teeth front sprocket to reduce rpm at 5th gear. To fit it, I had to modify the inner mudguard of the front sprocket somewhat. I would not recommend that when regular riding with a passenger is considered.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:33 am

Volker_P wrote:I have also a 1993 XR650L, mostly for winter use and as a lightweigh touring bike for trips into the mountains.
And I also still want to shift further than 5th after all the years with the CB650. :lol: It went a bit better since I have a 17 teeth front sprocket to reduce rpm at 5th gear. To fit it, I had to modify the inner mudguard of the front sprocket somewhat. I would not recommend that when regular riding with a passenger is considered.

THREAD HIJACK ALERT: Volker, do you know how much it helps to reduce the size of the rear sprocket (40 to maybe a 38) but keep the front at stock 16 teeth? Seems you would go a little faster at the same RPM.
'99 1500 Drifter

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:08 am

Hi,
yes I know, but with the 50hp camshaft further increase will not make sense, and topspeed is not my interest anyway.
But the basic reason is that I am in Germany. This means to legalize a new transmission you have to bring documents for smoke and noise emissions, topspeed and so on which costs would probably allow to buy up to ten CB's or so. Consequently changing a visible gearwheel is not a good idea. However TÜV (german technical inspection) does not disassemble anything :D.
Meanwhile a few percent changes can be legalized without that effort, so I will have to check out whether I am within the limits. Or just ride on. :wink:

P.S.: If you have the choice, use odd teeth numbers as the wear is more uniform which will enhace lifetime.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:03 pm

I'm not really looking for a higher top speed, but maybe just to ride US Interstate speeds (120km/h +/-) with lower RPMs.

We shall see how my 650 does as I need to transfer the title to another state. Vehicle regulations are state controlled in the USA. Wisconsin, where I live now has no inspection at all!. West Virginia will have a yearly safety inspection (check brakes, horn, lights, etc). Some states check exhaust emissions and noise, others do not.
'99 1500 Drifter

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:07 pm

I put a 17 tooth on the front and a 38 on the back, and boy what a difference... Sure I lost some of my jackrabbit-off-the-starting-line torque, but I can ride at 65mph/5000rpm all day long. It just never felt healthy going 65mph at 6000-6500 RPM, and one tooth in the front made a world of difference.

Anyways, I don't currently own any other bikes, but when I finally get this bike running in good shape I'm jumping for a 71-73 Norton Commando that I'm gonna cafe'. It's gonna be saweeeet! When I come up with the money that is :D

Oh, and my brother in law (who got me into bikes) currently rides a 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, is thinking about getting a 1987 BMW K100RS, and is building a 1968 Triumph Bonneville cafe/bobber/chopper... thing...

Not that he'll ever let me touch any of them, of course :lol:

nickjtc

Other bikes

Postby nickjtc » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:16 pm

My other bikes:

A 1971 Norton Commando (always wanted one, since I was a lad, and one showed up in the local Buy and Sell last year). Spent the winter accumulating bits and pieces for it, then promptly got a new job requiring a 'long distance' kind of bike. Hence the new-to-me CB650.

Also a '68 CB175. My first bike was a '72 CB175 so when I saw this one sitting forlornly in a local Honda shop (estate sale) I just had to have it.

Last 'main' bike was a '00 VFR800. Wow! 89,000km in five seasons; what a great bike.
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650
1971 Norton Commando
1968 CB175

Return to “General Discussion”