sand blasting bottom end for first time.

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Pbiggs

sand blasting bottom end for first time.

Postby Pbiggs » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Hey guys, so really ill be blasting with glass bead/oxide mix. I have already started and it's looking really good, I tried to mask it off as well as possible but there's just no way I'm not gonna get media inside the motor. I'm hoping I can get it done and then go through it a couple times with the air hose, then run some cheap oil through it.

Anyone have some tips on how you ended up doing this?

Thanks

Folsoml

Re: sand blasting bottom end for first time.

Postby Folsoml » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:51 am

Soda blasting may be a better option. I've never done it (yet) but it reduces the chances of getting abrasive particles where they should not be.

I'm working on my first Harley right now and I noted that the manual says to slosh kerosene around inside the engine at each oil change. It may be something you could do after your blasting.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Pbiggs

Postby Pbiggs » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Thats right I had been soda blasting for so long when I upgraded to glass bead I never thought I would go back, but it's definitely a better option and cheaper, kerosene sounds like a good idea also, nice work folsom thanks!

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:25 am

If you are going to blast with soda. Give it a good clean water flush. The soda will dissolve, and wash out.
Blasting with glass/oxide will require going over everything with fine detail to make sure all remnants of blasting media is removed. This includes chasing threads, probing oil passages, and fine brushing of every nook, and cranny.
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

Return to “General Discussion”