Karben's 83 Nighthawk thread

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

karben

Re: Karben's 83 Nighthawk thread

Postby karben » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:40 am

So I got my Speedo working. The wiring behind the headlight is a Shit Show. Why must electrical wiring be such a mess. Almost thought I'd have to take it somewhere and have a professional hook all the bullets back up. Everything's gravy now, though. Anyway, I have the square box cluster from 1983 cb650sc. How does my tach work on this bad boy? Does the cable for the speedo run the tach as well or is that a desperate component I can check on? I saw someone solder a wire back onto what looked like a vibrating ring inside their tach, do I have something like that inside my housing?

Also, I'm gonna pull my tank off, clean and plastidip it matte black. Is it best to just run the tank dry or better to dump the gas? While I have the tank off I'd really like to clean my carbs and replace my petcock. Any recommendations on a rebuild kit for the carbs and a own petcock? Thanks for all the help guys.

Also, where can I find the toolkit cubby hole cover? It looks like I'm missing mine. If I put something in there now, it'd definitely fallout. Is it some kind of 'drawer?" I can't find anything online or in a diagram relation to how the toolkit is actually held in place.
1983 CB650SC Nighthawk

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:25 am

karben wrote:So, is going onto the r/r, rotor and stator a necessary next step?

No. Possibly the battery is old or some contacts need cleaning but basically charging is not your issue.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

karben

Postby karben » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:08 pm

So I've begun noticing a kind of clicking noise while riding. It almost sounds like a mountain bike chain does when you're just coasting and/or back peddaling...

It only occurs when I'm in gear. If I engage clutch or go into a neutral and roll, nothing. It sounds like its originating from the front of the engine/wheel.

I changed my oil a couple nights ago, first time since buying the bike. I went with mobil 1 synthetic, 10w30. Is it possible my oil is too thin? I checked it about 20 min after I got back from work today (30 mile ride on the bike) and it was at the full line, actually a SMIDGE over but not much. funny enough after the oil change I took the bike for a ride and when I got back it was between the full and low lines but i put off topping the bike off 100% because I figured it's like a car and being between the lines is good no biggie. But today it says its full? Do I need the check the oil RIGHT after I get off the bike?
1983 CB650SC Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:57 pm

It could just be clutch noise. They're pretty loud.

Have you adjusted your cam chain?
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

karben

Postby karben » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:44 pm

I have not. I also really want to drain and refill my final drive oil. Is a cam chain adjustment fairly straight forward? I have the Clymer manual on my phone I'm sure theres something in there. I'll take a peek.
1983 CB650SC Nighthawk

Return to “General Discussion”