The LIST!!

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

nemesis_custom

The LIST!!

Postby nemesis_custom » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Me and my son have been tearing down the bike this weekend...

First i got a battery for it and sprayed some fuel into the cylinders, cranked it over and it popped a couple of times! I then checked the spark and found i was only getting a spark from 1 coil pack and it was pretty weak. To diagnose the bad coil i dropped power from the working pack onto it to see if i could get a spark, no dice.

so...

1, New coil packs

we then started to tear it down, removed the carbs to find the manifold boots cracking and rock hard.

2, Carb boots

Then we disconnected all the cables from the engine to find the choke cable and clutch cable were seized.

3, Choke cable
4, Clutch cable

Then we found the throttle push cable outer sleeving is damaged.

5, Throttle push cable

With the engine out we tried to remove the inner plugs but i don't have the right wrench.

6, Plug spanner

After storing the engine i had a good look over my carbs they are the keihin ones, all looked pretty good, butterflys move easily and all looks very clean until i looked at the throttle linkage, it looks like one of the springs has snapped and is now held together with zip ties :cry: . I will get a picture up soon so i can get some expert advice.

I then had a look at the exhausts and wish i hadn't... :x both sides have been heavily repaired, with one side all plated up and seems reasonably sound, the other side has been botched badly with thin plate and exhaust cement :evil: . I was hoping to be able to use these exhausts until i could afford to get a new set made up.

7, New exhausts

Atm the bike still has the forks wheel and instrument cluster attached, the back end is still pretty much together as i know i will struggle moving it about once i take the wheels off, but i do know i will need new shocks for the back.

8, New rear shocks

The forks are showing signs of pitting but i am planning on sending them to the local hard chroming company and having them sorted properly.

I also need,

9, Exhaust clamps and flanges +gaskets?

The front mudguard is shot, beat to hell, with the chrome cracked in places and with the amount of rust on the underneath i am sure it will hole if i try and rub it down to sort it.

10, Front mudguard

and the rest of the list...

11, Gear shifter and rubber
12, New grips
13, Petrol tank repaired
14, New plugs

I will save as much as i can of the original but i will need to drop some OEM stuff on it to get it right.

The best news of the weekend though.....

SWMBO found both side panels!!!!, they are gonna need some repairs cos of a couple of missing clips and respraying, but there are no cracks or bits chipped off them!!!!
My bikes don't leak oil, They are marking their territory!!

Folsoml

Re: The LIST!!

Postby Folsoml » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:37 am

The list just keeps getting longer and longer. :roll: Welcome to rebuilding old bikes! :lol:
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Return to “General Discussion”