Just started riding. Comfort questions on long trips.

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

tario

Just started riding. Comfort questions on long trips.

Postby tario » Mon May 25, 2015 11:03 pm

I just got my 79 cb650 on the road a few weeks ago. I started off in less crowded areas to get a feel for the bikes weight and the shifting. Next I moved to some 80Kph country roads. After logging about 1500 km I decided to try a 3.5 hour trip (time it takes by car).

I was surprised by some of the winds I passed through. Anyone from Nova Scotia/NB/PEI area might know the road from Charlottetown to Halifax and be able to relate. Going by a wind farm the bike was leaned the wrong way in a few turns which I'm fine with I just need to get some more saddle time to feel better about it. Some of the gusts were shocking though. At times the bike just tipped around and that was fine. There was one point where the bike jumped 2 feet to the side though. Ended up slowing down for the gusty part. Maintained 80kph.

I also found my hands went numb. A throttle lock is on the list of things to get but my clutch hand had trouble too. I've seen vibration damper bar ends, do these actually help much? Also noticed my front tire hops about 1/8" maybe 1/4". Just purchased/installed them a few weeks ago.(shop did that) This seems like It wouldn't help things.

I should mention there were some wide open sections that I comfortably went 120 through.

Any experienced riders have some input on riding these things long distances with fewer stops and at car appropriate speeds?
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

usbear

Re: Just started riding. Comfort questions on long trips.

Postby usbear » Tue May 26, 2015 10:40 pm

1) Relax your grip a bit, firm but gentle, do not squeeze Hard.
2) Check tire pressure, wheel bearings,triple tree bearings and front tire for run-out. Put on center kick stand with front tire off ground and rotate tire,wiggle forks,check for tight axle, and all fork bolts.
3) Comfortable Gloves that FIT!
4) Comfortable Grips that fit your Hand.
5) Clean and Lube Cables.

Yes some grips work BUT Be Careful with Install so they do not Fall off when you Yank on them.

I have no recommendation on which Grips to use, someone else may suggest something.

check your rear swing arm bushings!

and rear bearings,tire and so on. Quick way to check is remove rear shocks from one end and wiggle swing arm for slack.

You can overlook several things to start BUT the bike HAS to go where you point it.

Check your Tire combination!

Be Careful until you learn the bike.
Find an experienced rider to ride it for you/with you and give feedback to you.

Bikes wiggle in the wind so expect a little, sounds like you are doing good so far.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
Last edited by usbear on Tue May 26, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Errors

usbear

Postby usbear » Tue May 26, 2015 10:49 pm

I just saw one of your other post's.
You lost oil in one of the front fork tubes( Leaky Seal right?)

FIX IT!, Before you get Hurt. Just ask any experienced rider.

It is good to be on the Forum.
Welcome to the Bike World. First Bike?

Cheers, be safe sir and ride.

tario

Postby tario » Wed May 27, 2015 8:43 am

Yes, first bike. Still figuring out which of my instincts are good and which are bad.

1) Ya I'm working on relaxing a bit more on the grip. I don't have a death grip but from my research people seem to be saying hold the bike with your knees mostly.
2) Check tire pressure, wheel bearings,triple tree... I havn't had the bike do anything strange. It seems to track straight and upright on it's own in sheltered areas. Not that I've tried to really let go of the handlebars at this point. Will check things over just for fun though.
3) Comfortable Gloves that FIT! My gloves are pretty good but I am planning on getting something with fewer seams. After an hour or two one of the fingers rotated so I was holding a seam. Likely didn't help things.
4) Comfortable Grips that fit your Hand. On the shopping list. Wasn't too worried at first as they hadn't been a problem initially.
5) Clean and Lube Cables. Most are new, all have decent oil in them.

Check your Tire combination! They are a matching set, brand new a couple weeks ago. They seemed important.

As far as the fork seal it was always on the to do list. Didn't think the extra dampening would make or break my ride. From your response it sounds like I could have been wrong.

I had been unemployed for a month so money was tight but I actually accepted a job offer half way through typing this so some more funds will be pumped into the bike before I take it out anywhere.

I have a lot of experience with bicycles which is sometimes transferable. (bike mechanic for 10 years, bmxing, racing xc, racing road) Although I quickly realized there is a lot that is different as well. Having fallen off bikes lots of times I somewhat appreciate that I need to respect the limits of this thing. Odds are I can't toss it to the side and run to a safe stop like I normally do... Also the mechanical parts are different, less chain tension, wheels that actually NEED balancing.

So I can just tip this thing to the back while on the centre stand? This is something normal to do? I assume you lift up on the bars rather than shove the bike back?
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

socal1200r

Postby socal1200r » Wed May 27, 2015 5:57 pm

There's a lot of things that can impact riding comfort from an ergonomic standpoint, versus bike condition. Sitting on the bike, how is the feel of the seat? How's the reach to the handlebars? What do the grips feel like? How's the reach to the foot controls?

Some bikes that I've had the previous owner put those Kuryakyn grips on, which I immediately removed, because the diameters were too big for my hands. I've always liked just good old rubber sportbike grips, fits my grip the best. Tried those cushiony foam ones too, and didn't like those either. I've changed handlebars on bikes to something that felt more "natural", and the main thing to watch out for on handlebars are the cables. Too much of a change and you'll need to get shorter/longer cables, so just be aware. I personally don't like forward foot controls, I prefer mid-location controls, and the stock location on my '79 CB650 feels just fine.

Analyze everything that your hands, feet, and butt touch when you're on your bike, and adjust as necessary for your own personal comfort. You'll enjoy riding much more if you're not fighting any of the controls.

usbear

Postby usbear » Thu May 28, 2015 12:19 am

Yes, just tip it back and check for any slack just like the bikes you worked on. You can push the front forks towards engine and then pull back out and lift up and on the tubes to check for loose bearings there. If you have someone sit on the bike while you yank on it and kick it around a little that would help. Tip wheel top and bottom also.

Just suggesting things to inspect and eliminate.

Not suggesting that it is a problem on your bike, just a common problem (wear area on bikes) that should be checked and is near and dear to my heart.

I tend to like smaller diameter grips as well. Larger ones feel like holding onto a baseball bat.

Socal said it very well.
Fit for comfort is much more enjoyable.

Return to “General Discussion”