Back to life

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

mbittner

Back to life

Postby mbittner » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:42 am

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 79 CB650. It's been sitting in a barn and hasn't run in 10 years. A friend and I are now attempting to bring this bike back to life. We replaced the oil, filter, plugs, battery, and set to work cleaning the carbs. Needless to say the insides of the carbs looks like hell. Ten years of old gas turned to a varnish on every working part. We cleaned every millimeter of the carbs giving particular attention to the jets and float needles.

Added fresh gas, and with some trail and error, it miraculously sputtered to life!!!!

Now the work continues. The engine only runs when fully choked. I assume this means I need to clean the pilot jets again, but I thought I would ask the forum for advice. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? All seals/gaskets look good so I'm assuming no vacuum leaks.

Folsoml

Re: Back to life

Postby Folsoml » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:52 am

Welcome here!. I had to remove your picture because it was huge!

You are probably right in that your pilot jets need another cleaning. What are you doing to clean the passages in the card bodies?
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

mbittner

Postby mbittner » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm using "Gum out" carb cleaner. To ensure the jets aren't obstructed I've been using a very thin gauge guitar string. I've read that you shouldn't use a wire, you should use compressed air so that you don't scratch or damage the jets but I'm currently without a compressor.

I pulled the slow jets (idle jets) and sure enough they had lots of crap in them. I've cleaned them but I have concerns that they're still obstructed. I can't see daylight and I can't blow air or water through them. That's consistent for all 4 of the slow jets. Since I cleaned them thoroughly. I think that it's not a big deal, but then how does gas get through them?

I'm about to slap the carbs back on but I'd like to be sure that the jets aren't blocked. The last time I started the bike it would't idle and the exhaust pipes on 3 & 4 were cold. I'm hoping to fire on all four cylinders before moving on to the next issue.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:49 pm

You should see lite through the pilot jets. And some holes on the sides on the base/
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

mbittner

Postby mbittner » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:22 pm

Makes sense. The holes on the sides of the base are clear and clean. It's strange that all 4 of the slow jets are blocked in the same spot and so far no amount of pressure will clear them.

Return to “General Discussion”