Hello from Texas. First bike project 79 cb650. Bar hopper cafe racer

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Mattmcnabb91

Hello from Texas. First bike project 79 cb650. Bar hopper cafe racer

Postby Mattmcnabb91 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Hello there this is my first project I was hoping to get some help with it. It was running when I got it so I just started to my tear down and I've ordered a brat seat, a seat hoop, clip on bars, air filters, new turn signals and tail light. My main problem is that there's a dent in the tank and I'm not sure how to get it out but I would like to do the knee dent route after I clean it out but the dent is more to the front and then paint. I was wondering about a wiring diagram because I have some loose wires I would like to know if there's a purpose or not. Also they put a vise grip on the choke cable to keep it engaged and then wired a kill switch to two of the cylinders because it would Idol to high after running. I ordered a new choke cable and read about the proper way to cold start it so I'm hoping they guys is just an idiot and nothing is broken. It doesn't have fuses on it either it just had metal wiring connecting the terminals and the cover is missing. Also do I need to keep the chain guard on or can I throw it out because it's really really greasy and I try to degrees it and I think I just ruined the bath tub. Also I'm waiting to order a rear tire because I want to know more about the tire and Forks set up to get the flat line of a cafe racer. Lastly I want to know info on how to relocate the battery so I can have the opening underneath the seat, do I need to rewire anything? Where do I hide it? Any information will be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Mattmcnabb91

Re: Hello from Texas. First bike project 79 cb650. Bar hopper cafe racer

Postby Mattmcnabb91 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Vinegar helped with the tub.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:58 am

Welcome here! :D

Mattmcnabb91 wrote: My main problem is that there's a dent in the tank and ...

Hope you are right.
Because this sounds that you may find some more surprises of that kind.
Mattmcnabb91 wrote: Also they put a vise grip on the choke cable to keep it engaged and then wired a kill switch to two of the cylinders because it would Idol to high after running.

Especially this sounds like trouble:
Mattmcnabb91 wrote: so I'm hoping they guys is just an idiot and nothing is broken. It doesn't have fuses on it either it just had metal wiring connecting the terminals and the cover is missing.

From this I would suspect your bike came with some electric problems, some cables might have been overheated or there are shorts that you will detect as soon as you try to connect the components again. So you will have to check the electrics anyway and possibly have to replace parts, plugs or cables. The online manual linked below contains a wiring diagram.
Does it still have a stock 30Amps main fuse directly at the starter solenoid? In this case things might be not that bad as they look like for now.

Mattmcnabb91 wrote: Lastly I want to know info on how to relocate the battery so I can have the opening underneath the seat, do I need to rewire anything? Where do I hide it?

The battery needs some protection and damping so the original position with the rubber mounted cage makes sense. I remember that someone put it just in front of the rear wheel, but he changed the swing arm/ frame, too, so he had space there. He used a box to protect it which is required at that position. A smaller battery might be placed beneath the seat.

Chain guard: Most of the grease can be wiped easily when the part is a bit warm. Better go outside, use a good hair dryer or a hot air gun (only if it is a metal chain guard! :roll: ) and just burn the cloth afterwards.

Good luck!
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:35 am

Welcome to the forum!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Mattmcnabb91

Postby Mattmcnabb91 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:51 am

Thank you. I've had such issues finding information on a 650 I've been reading so much from this site. It's really helpful. I'll look into the wiring issue tomorrow, I'm starting on the tank today. Also is this diagram that I attached correct I found randomly on pinterest?
Attachments
IMG9514361.jpg
IMG9514361.jpg (75.67 KiB) Viewed 7526 times
IMG_12471.jpg
This will serve as my "before" picture.
IMG_12471.jpg (266.92 KiB) Viewed 7526 times

tario

Postby tario » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:37 pm

That wiring diagram isn't exactly wrong and it explains how things work pretty clearly. If you buy a hanes or clymer manual for this it will be worth the money. It comes with the complete-headache inducing wiring diagram.

or print this off; http://www.jasonkent.ca/cb650manual.htm (link seems dead atm. might be because it wasn't entirely legal some places)

I hope you have done your homework on the pod filters, jets and exhaust you plan on using.

As far as fusing you can buy aftermarket 30A fuses if needed. To move the battery just extent the existing wires to the new location. If you want to go with lithium ion you need to figure out how to set up a charging circuit that wont explode. easiest thing is to build a battery box that protects the whole thing without shorting out then see where you can bolt it. Dime city sells seat hoops that hold batteries.

Your kill switch turns off two cylinders? ...or turns off two things? ...being the two pickups for the coils?

Now on to some things that seem like common... mistakes? If you remove your front fender brace your fork. You can do this with the mounting plate part of the fender. If you lower the bike make sure all of your suspension works through the full compression. Flat seats are very uncomfortable for long rides. Heck the stock seat is no walk in the park. I hate to say it when you have already started disassembling but you could have fixed the idle issues and choke before taking it apart so it would be running perfectly. Then when you rejet for the pods hopefully the baseline would be close to the final adjustments.
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:23 am

Thanks for the nice wiring diagram. :D
Obviously it is for the old Honda Fours with points ignition and mechanical regulator.
Nevertheless the basic connections and their colors are still correct. Anyway I would not use it alone or instead of the right CB650 wiring diagram as some details differ.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “General Discussion”