My First Motorcycle Ticket

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Chris

My First Motorcycle Ticket

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:56 pm

Well, I guess I get to join the club. I got a ticket on my way home from work tonight. I've been taking a faster through road that goes about 1/2mi. out of my way and if traffic is light I open it up for the last 1/4mi. to get the engine nice and warm before I pull off and backtrack about 1/4mi. back to the house. It's been doing wonders for the bike as far as keeping it running smooth with no fouled plugs. But tonight Johnny Law caught up with me. I had gone through the last traffic signal before the final open stretch with 2 long sweeping curves and kicked it down into 4th. I opened the throttle wide and just as I was going to shift into 5th he turned his lights on. I knew right away it was meant for me so I pulled over to the shoulder and sheepishly waved to my coworkers as they passed :oops: Hehe, they're gonna give me a bunch of shit when I go back to work on Monday. The cop said I was going well over 70mph, but I doubt it. I don't know for sure because I was busy negotiating a dark, sweeping curve at WOT and thoroughly enjoying it... much as I do every night on my ride home :) But I didn't argue with him. I just gave him my license and registration and took a seat on the 4ft. concrete wall along the side of the road. I lit up a cigarette while I was waiting for him to get done doing whatever he was doing back in his patrol car and damn near finished it before he came back with the ticket. The officer told me he was cutting me a deal. He wrote the ticket for 'failure to obey a traffic control device' which is only 2 points as opposed to whatever 20-something over the speed limit would be. He explained that it was nothing personal and that he was just doing his job and wouldn't like to find himself scraping me off the pavement someday. I told him I completely understood and that I wouldn't want him to find himself scraping me off the pavement either :) I took my time putting all my gear back on and pulled away slowly, wondering to myself what the speed limit actually is through there :?: I think it's 50 or 55... not sure. I'll have to take a look next time when I'm trying to figure out how fast my bike goes at redline in 4th... just kidding... maybe 8)
1980 CB650c

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:11 am

Damn... If only my cop had been so nice to me....

I think that cops automatically assume that our bikes are old and rickety. Therefore they feel it is their duty to protect us from ourselves, since at any moment our wheels might go flying off or our handlebars might break in two pieces.

Bah! Bah I say!

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:48 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: It doesn't have to be old to fall apart.
1980 CB650c

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:18 pm

Good for you, to do the right thing and not get belligerent with the plod.

If it's a fair cop I always act really humble (the fact that when the helmet comes off the officer sees a GHOF rather than a young buck is an advantage) and find that helps with the final outcome.
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650
1971 Norton Commando
1968 CB175

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:46 am

It's like there is a club now or something.

I got pulled over early this summer (on my Kawasaki) for not having eye protection. I had flipped up my face sheild on a warm night and forgot to put it down as I drove through town. The cute female officer let me off with a warning. I won't say I didn't apply some of my hit-or-miss flirting magic, but it seemed to work that day.
'99 1500 Drifter

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:04 am

If we always remember that they are just doing their job and (mostly) not trying to be a$$%@&#s then things will invariably work in our favour. Unless, that is, you have obnoxiously loud pipes or were pulling wheelies on the freeway or doing 60 in a school or playground zone. Then, nothing will save us!!

But, of course, we are all above that kind of behaviour, aren't we....?

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:16 pm

Anonymous wrote:If we always remember that they are just doing their job and (mostly) not trying to be a$$%@&#s then things will invariably work in our favour. Unless, that is, you have obnoxiously loud pipes or were pulling wheelies on the freeway or doing 60 in a school or playground zone. Then, nothing will save us!!

But, of course, we are all above that kind of behaviour, aren't we....?

Sorry....me again. Keep forgetting to log in!
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650

1971 Norton Commando

1968 CB175

Return to “General Discussion”