Gap between the drive shaft hub & wheel?

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Amreekan

Gap between the drive shaft hub & wheel?

Postby Amreekan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:02 pm

I recently bought a CB650SC and the first thing I did was change both tires. After calling local shops, it was cheaper to bring in the wheel and tires to the shop, which I did.

I followed proper instruction, and installed the rear. All went well but I can't remember if there is supposed to be a gap between the wheel and the driveshaft unit.

Here is the installed wheel with the new tire:

A closer zoom up:

This is the gap I am referring to:

Secondly, the front tire has now a scraping sound when I try to spin it by hand. I can't figure out what its scraping on.
I removed both calipers and looked at both rotors while spinning it by hand. The rotors are not touching the caliper brackets.
:(

navydad

Re: Gap between the drive shaft hub & wheel?

Postby navydad » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:41 pm

I don't think that gap is an issue. Does the rear turn freely with no noise? You did lube the splines with a GOOD quality moly grease didn't you? If not then you really need to do that. Are you saying the front wheel makes a scrapping sound when the calipers are off the forks? Brake pads will make noise if slightly rubbing the discs, but if the calipers are off then there is another issue. Tire/fender clearance? Does this bike have a cable driven speedometer? If so is the unit at the wheel seated properly?

Amreekan

Postby Amreekan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:36 pm

Yes, the rear wheel turns freely with no noise. I did lube the splines with high quality moly paste.

It does have a cable driven speedometer. I cleaned the entire housing thoroughly and then lubed it with good quality grease.

Thanks...will check if its rubbing on the fender.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:22 am

Welcome here! :D

I am sorry I have no idea of the DOHC shaft drive so I cannot verify if this gap is correct or not.
If not, it may develop to a serious issue.
So I would urgently find out about that gap before installing the rear wheel again.

Possibly someone at the shop removed some parts of the drive (that are better not opened just for a tyre repalcement) to make it fit into their machine but had no clear idea on the reassembly. Typically shaft drives have narrow tolerances. Even without a visible gap something could be wrong.
Unfortunately everything is possible. The new scraping sound at the front, too, is a further hint that everything here should be checked again with care.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Amreekan

Postby Amreekan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. Just to get a confirmation of this gap I will try the NH forum. Nevertheless, there is lots of good info here and I'm happy to be a member here.

Return to “General Discussion”