Front blinkers

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

michael_650

Front blinkers

Postby michael_650 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:14 pm

When I got my bike, it didn't have front turn signals. I bought some after-market LED blinkers from the local car parts store, the kind with the threaded base. I've seen people mount them to the sides of the headlight, but haven't figured out how they did it. Pictures, comments, diagrams, descriptions, all welcome.

MEHall

Re: Front blinkers

Postby MEHall » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Got a pic of those turn signals? And if i was you i should avoid LED turn signals as there is about 23 w each for the original turn signals. That is without counting in the indicator lights. LED turn signals is about 1 w each and in that case you would need to mount 23 of them at the front at each side, and equally amount in the rear for each side. There is electrical resistance you can mount when you use LED turn signals though. :wink:

Myself i have these turn signals:

Wiht these mounts directly mounted on the fork legs:

Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

tario

Postby tario » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:22 am

If you pull out the bolts on the side of the headlight and use your signals as a replacement bolt they should mount right up. You might need some washers to make the signal not pop through the hole. (in case the signals have smaller nuts/bolts)

In order for the signals to work with a stock flasher you need resistors wired in across the hot and ground wires. (for two wire signals, hook up your signals, then put a resistor across the two wires. For three wire signals there will be a ground and a wire that turns on and off with the flashing, put the resistor across these)

To figure out what resistor you need;
We need 23W and we have 1W. So we need to draw 22W at about 13V.

P(22W)=E(13V)xI(?A)
I=1.69A

E=IxR so R=E/I so 13V/1.69A=7.69 Ohms

We will round that up to 8 Ohms rated for at least 30W and/or 2A and/or 20V
When i say rated for that means it is safe up to that amount so any rating larger than that will work fine.
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:59 am

A reminder; the headligt bolts are M10 and many turn lights can be only M8 so really do check up on that. :wink:
I can say if you find the mounts i've showed in the pics the hole is for M8 bolts.
I cant be sure but i think most LED is M8 at the mounting side.

8)
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

Return to “General Discussion”