Right seat

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Hawk213

Right seat

Postby Hawk213 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:42 pm

Can anyone of you guys on here who have 81 650 cafe racers show pics of your seat hoops? I can't seem to find a right flat cafe seat that's long enough. Any pics will give me a good general idea on what seat will fit. Or an idea of how long your seat hoop is. Thanks.

boogerwolf

Re: Right seat

Postby boogerwolf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Hey Hawk213,
I have a 1981 CB650 as well. The issue with this frame is it's not the best choice to convert to a Café Racer. The dip in the frame under the seat into the tail is the problem. Some have engine swapped to a cb550 frame cause the engine mounts are the same, I think. However, the 1979 cb650 frame is straight and would have been a better choice, in hindsight. You could do what my daughter and I have done and have a fabricator chop the frame and weld it straight. I wouldn't recommend to half ass this as it reduces the strength of the frame when you cut the pipes.

We ordered a seat from motorcycleseatsdirect.com and it was insanely overpriced and poorly built. It took almost 3 months to get the seat and it ships from the Philippines. The feeling of being "complete ripped off" comes to mind however, we have already invested and will make it work. You could use the original seat pan and reshape the foam and have it upholstered by a local shop and some how convert it to a somewhat close straight café seat.

Hope this helps.

Skiwatcher

Re: Right seat

Postby Skiwatcher » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:04 pm

I so love to read, that you had a bad experience with motorcycleseatsdirect.com, not that I want you to order bad things. I was considering to buy a seat for my CB650, too. But i decided not to, since i had a bad feeling about the quality! I hope you are happy with your new seat now :)

Return to “General Discussion”