Time to sell one of the bikes

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Vatch

Time to sell one of the bikes

Postby Vatch » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:14 pm

The two bikes in the garage: a 1979 Honda CB650 and a 1999 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Drifter

...and the Drifter is going to be sold. Why would I want to sell a smooth bike that starts on the first attempt each time in favor of an older bike that needs work and some good warm up time? Well, it has nothing to do with practical reasons. It’s all about passion.

I bought the Drifter because I was always a fan of old Indians like the Chief. They were made in two sizes, 800cc and 1500cc. I never thought I needed a 1500; it was available and the price was right. Don't get me wrong, the torque is awesome (HP is comparable to the 650!!). The bike is smooth with EFI and a shaft drive. The bike is great as a highway and touring bike for US interstate roads. It has never let me down. But, the bike lacks soul. I like the way it looks, but it’s a Kawasaki imitation (errrr tribute) to the Indian. My nickname for the bike is the Perpetrator. The other deciding factor is that the bike is just too heavy for quick maneuvering (665 lbs.). The heavy cruiser is just not a match for me.

The CB I originally bought for my wife. After riding on the back of the Drifter for a season she got a license and I bought the CB for $1000. I thought it would be a good bike for her. It was big for a starter, but I did not want to get her a 250 that she would bored with in 2 months. The CB was cheap enough that if she laid it down we would not be out too much money, and it had enough HP for highway travel.

She never took to the bike. It’s a little too tall for her (she is 5’10”), it takes too long to warm up, and the braking is not that of modern bikes. I fixed things, but she never embraced the bike. Meanwhile, the time spent in the garage with it and the feeling of riding a vintage inline 4 around made me fall in love with the bike.

I want to get my wife a bike of her choosing, and I don’t have time to keep and ride three bikes (six month old baby girl). So, I will focus my repair and riding efforts on the CB. This bike is a disease, and I love it. Besides, the money from the sale of the Drifter should be plenty to buy my wife a bike and leave enough over to do what I want with the CB.

Now if I can only get the plastic choke receiver part fixed….
:D
'99 1500 Drifter

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:44 pm

I know the feeling Vatch.

I've had many people ask me many times, "Well why don't you just get rid of it if gives you such a hard time?" I've never been able to give them a good answer. The bike is a money pit for sure... I've probably put close to $2k into it that I could never get back. But it's something wierd that I can't explain. Spending so many dozens if not hundreds of hours working on it and riding it has really formed a bond. Sure it pisses me off (and drives me to the brink of insanity sometimes) when something goes wrong, like a bolt strips or a seal goes out or something crossthreads for no particular reason. But even then, just the feeling of accomplishment you get when the bike gets back on the road after so much work... It's priceless.

Of course on the other hand, it's not stopping my visions of the next step... A 1971 Norton Commando, and eventually a late '60s Triumph Triton. But that's still a long long ways off. For now I'm content to keep working on the ole' cb650 beast.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:25 am

Maybe that is it, the sense of pride when the bike runs like a top and someone that truly appreciates what it takes comments on it. You can't put a price on it.

I have visions of a thumper in my head. I've always been drawn to the simplicity of the single cylinder. But alas, that will wait. :)
'99 1500 Drifter

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:05 am

I have heard of people doing someting simulare before. A guy over here sold his Suzuki 1400 Intruder a few years back and bought a Honda 305 Hawks as a basket case. People told him he was mad. But after the bike was completely restored he said the little Honda had all the soul that the Intruder lacked. 8)

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:35 am

Yeah, I used to find brand new bikes just stunning back before I bought my cb. Nowadays? I don't find hardly any of them attractive. And now it seems like I don't have as much respect for the guys who scoff at "relics" and baby their brand new 1800cc monstrosities. Cover it in chrome? BAH! Bikes were made fer goin fast, not fer a'lookin at!

But when I see an old panhead or thruxton or magna riding down the road, I just have to slow down (I'm usually speeding :lol:) and give the guy a big thumbs up and a smile.

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:43 pm

I think we're all on the same page on this one.

To think that just a year ago my '00 VFR800 was my pride and joy and classic bikes didn't occupy any of my thoughts. Well, except for knowing that I had to start on the CB175 resto. at some point. Now I find that there aren't many modern bikes that turn my crank. I've even cancelled my subscription to a bike mage I have read for the last eight years because it no longer interests me.

Maybe it's a part of getting older........ turned 50 last year.
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650
1971 Norton Commando
1968 CB175

Return to “General Discussion”