any opinions on these different carburetor rebuild kits?

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

any opinions on these different carburetor rebuild kits?

Postby juntjoo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:29 pm

any opinions on these and what are the difference between them if any? out of all that I've found off ebay I chose these as they have the most included o-rings while others have less than half included. How many do I need exactly? And do these with extra include the o-rings for the fuel tubes?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2408138197

vs

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2133486968
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Re: any opinions on these different carburetor rebuild kits?

Postby Folsoml » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:30 pm

I have no experience with either of these rebuild kits. I have used Sumo brand brake pads and they seemed to perform as they should. Odd that they should say that it is compatible with the CB650 AND the CB650SC Nighthawk since the Nighthawk had a 118 main jet and the CB650 had a 120.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:43 am

Folsoml wrote:I have no experience with either of these rebuild kits. I have used Sumo brand brake pads and they seemed to perform as they should. Odd that they should say that it is compatible with the CB650 AND the CB650SC Nighthawk since the Nighthawk had a 118 main jet and the CB650 had a 120.

thanks. I've heard to avoid using the brass(or whatever theyre made of) parts and just use the rubber in these kits, I guess if you can, and I don't need any of the jets or other metal parts.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:16 am

Hi juntjoo and welcome. What year and model bike do you have? has it got slide carbs or CV carbs as both of these sets are for CV type. If you are unsure what type they are then you can check by looking at the side of the carb, just above the float bowl for the part number. I do apologize if you already know this but it really does help to have as much info as possible.
Right, this is what I know about cheap carb repair sets........buy the genuine Honda parts if you can get them, yes they will cost more but will save you money in the long run.
And here's why, in my experience anyway :roll: . I bought cheap sets from Taiwan but lots of ebay sellers from different Countries are selling the exact same sets, they just neglect to say where they are made. The sets that I bought were for the slide type carbs, complete with jets, air mixture screw + spring + washer, O-rings (lots and lots of the things!) carb top gaskets and float bowl gaskets, great I thought, and cheap :D . I'd heard about the brass bits being dodgy so I didn't bother using them but with all those other bits of rubber it had to be a bargain? didn't it?
First thing I noticed was the locating holes on the carb top gaskets were in the wrong place, as these were made from thick gasket paper it was an easy fix with a hole punch. Next I rebuilt the rack of carbs with the rubber bits........or tried to. The thing is with all of those O-rings in the sets, only the ones for the air mixture screws were the right size, the others were nowhere near any useful sizes for the carbs :x . Float bowl gaskets fit really snug, great! even with these gaskets alone being correct it was worth the price of the sets........wasn't it? I put the carbs back on the bike but due to a stupid oversight on my part, I forgot to put the small O-ring in the number 2 float bowl near the accelerator pump :oops:
I removed the carbs, unscrewed the number 2 floatbowl and out popped the gasket, only it was twice its original size! It would appear that the rubber used in these sets wasn't Nitrile rubber and soaked up the gas like a sponge :( .
Now I'm not saying that either of the sets you mentioned are of inferior quality as I have never used either but what I am suggesting is if you can locate genuine Honda parts...........well, the choice is yours!

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:16 am

Yeah...What he said. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:08 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:Hi juntjoo and welcome. What year and model bike do you have? has it got slide carbs or CV carbs as both of these sets are for CV type. If you are unsure what type they are then you can check by looking at the side of the carb, just above the float bowl for the part number. I do apologize if you already know this but it really does help to have as much info as possible.
Right, this is what I know about cheap carb repair sets........buy the genuine Honda parts if you can get them, yes they will cost more but will save you money in the long run.
And here's why, in my experience anyway :roll: . I bought cheap sets from Taiwan but lots of ebay sellers from different Countries are selling the exact same sets, they just neglect to say where they are made. The sets that I bought were for the slide type carbs, complete with jets, air mixture screw + spring + washer, O-rings (lots and lots of the things!) carb top gaskets and float bowl gaskets, great I thought, and cheap :D . I'd heard about the brass bits being dodgy so I didn't bother using them but with all those other bits of rubber it had to be a bargain? didn't it?
First thing I noticed was the locating holes on the carb top gaskets were in the wrong place, as these were made from thick gasket paper it was an easy fix with a hole punch. Next I rebuilt the rack of carbs with the rubber bits........or tried to. The thing is with all of those O-rings in the sets, only the ones for the air mixture screws were the right size, the others were nowhere near any useful sizes for the carbs :x . Float bowl gaskets fit really snug, great! even with these gaskets alone being correct it was worth the price of the sets........wasn't it? I put the carbs back on the bike but due to a stupid oversight on my part, I forgot to put the small O-ring in the number 2 float bowl near the accelerator pump :oops:
I removed the carbs, unscrewed the number 2 floatbowl and out popped the gasket, only it was twice its original size! It would appear that the rubber used in these sets wasn't Nitrile rubber and soaked up the gas like a sponge :( .
Now I'm not saying that either of the sets you mentioned are of inferior quality as I have never used either but what I am suggesting is if you can locate genuine Honda parts...........well, the choice is yours!

wow, thanks. good to know. I'll see if i can get any more info before I buy. and yes, I've got the cv type
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:41 pm

You are most welcome mate :D . When I actually get around to buying gaskets for my Nighthawks CV carbs I will be going here, https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... -component

Regards, George

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:04 pm

I rebuild carbs as a hobby, so I buy o-rings in bulk from Marcos Rubber, and stainless steel hex bolts from Bolt Depot.

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:21 am

Folsoml wrote:I rebuild carbs as a hobby, so I buy o-rings in bulk from Marcos Rubber, and stainless steel hex bolts from Bolt Depot.

That is basically what I had to resort to, I bought a box of assorted size O-rings from ebay but I tested them first by dropping one in a small pot of petrol to see if they actually were Nitrile as claimed by the seller. But when I rebuild my CV's I'm only intending to build them once :lol: but we'll see about that.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 am

GeorgeSweety wrote:But when I rebuild my CV's I'm only intending to build them once :lol: but we'll see about that.

Lemme know how that works out for you. :lol: :lol:

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:43 am

Just get ready for my victory dance you non believer :lol:

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:42 pm

so "nitrile" is what I need to specify when inquiring with sellers? Or is there other acceptable materials for o-rings?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:40 pm

"Nitrile rubber (NBR), also called nitrile-butadiene rubber, an oil-resistant synthetic rubber produced from a copolymer of acrylonitrile and butadiene. Its main applications are in fuel hoses, gaskets, rollers, and other products in which oil resistance is required."
There are probably other types of oil and fuel resistant rubber out there but I'd just stick to "Nitrile" and "Fuel Resistant" for terminology as most sellers probably haven't got a degree in chemistry :D

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:59 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:"Nitrile rubber (NBR), also called nitrile-butadiene rubber, an oil-resistant synthetic rubber produced from a copolymer of acrylonitrile and butadiene. Its main applications are in fuel hoses, gaskets, rollers, and other products in which oil resistance is required."
There are probably other types of oil and fuel resistant rubber out there but I'd just stick to "Nitrile" and "Fuel Resistant" for terminology as most sellers probably haven't got a degree in chemistry :D

thanks
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:10 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:"Nitrile rubber (NBR), also called nitrile-butadiene rubber, an oil-resistant synthetic rubber produced from a copolymer of acrylonitrile and butadiene. Its main applications are in fuel hoses, gaskets, rollers, and other products in which oil resistance is required."

So you don't know about electrical thingies, but you seem to now a little about nitrile. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”