should I invest in one of these carb sync tools?

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

should I invest in one of these carb sync tools?

Postby juntjoo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:12 pm

or could a bench sync do?

This will be my first time getting the bike running ever and MY 1st bike ever and I'm doing brakes and the carbs as far as I can tell is needed at this point so I'm wondering if all works out from the carb rebuild that a good bench sync could be enough to tune them right or if the tool is a must-have for anyone who goes this far into their bike's needed maintenance.

So how reliably can you judge the sync this way and,

if I get this tool how often could I expect to use it?

Maybe I should wait to see how they run one I get them up and ready then decide from there? Looks like the tool is only like $60-80 on Amazon, so not too much but a bit tight on thy funds these days
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Re: should I invest in one of these carb sync tools?

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi juntoo, what type of sync tool is it? can you provide a link? A bench sync can be good enough to get you in the ball park but you may need a sync tool to get the carbs as close as possible. I bench sync'd my slide carbs on my 650 Custom and the bike ran reasonably well, it wasn't until I used my vacuum gauges that I saw how much they were actually still out of sync.

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:41 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:Hi juntoo, what type of sync tool is it? can you provide a link? A bench sync can be good enough to get you in the ball park but you may need a sync tool to get the carbs as close as possible. I bench sync'd my slide carbs on my 650 Custom and the bike ran reasonably well, it wasn't until I used my vacuum gauges that I saw how much they were actually still out of sync.

thanks. so can a tool based sync actually make an imperfect bench sync adjustment? if that's the case sounds like the tool would be the only and most reliable way,,vs bench sync only so accurate (and rarely 100%?). And I was thinking the standard dial ones(vs mercury).
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:43 pm

This is the one I bought, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARBTUNE-PRO ... SwED5Z0-zY
I have never had much luck with the dial gauge type as the needles are far too jittery to be of much use accuracy wise, even the oil filled type.

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:32 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:This is the one I bought, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARBTUNE-PRO ... SwED5Z0-zY
I have never had much luck with the dial gauge type as the needles are far too jittery to be of much use accuracy wise, even the oil filled type.

thank you. i will look until these..
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Return to “General Discussion”