Dropping the exhaust?

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Logan vandam

Dropping the exhaust?

Postby Logan vandam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:10 am

Trying to polish them all up before spring. Followed all the bolts including the ones on the spare Foot pegs that seem to have tension. But I think I found the last thing holding it on being a God damn jis screw. Does anyone know where to get a Japanese Phillips or have any advice on getting them out?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

GeorgeSweety

Re: Dropping the exhaust?

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:53 am

Hi Logan, that is the DOHC isn't it? Where is the JIS screw located that could be holding on the exhaust? I don't know about buying a JIS screwdriver outside of the UK, but I bought a set of Stanley screwdrivers here and one was included.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:39 am

I can't think of a JIS screw that would be on your exhaust. Can you show a picture of this?

Edit: Are you talking about #10 on this diagram?
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... 50/muffler

If so, that only holds on the heat shield.

Am I understanding correctly that you removed the bolts holding the muffler to the frame by the rear foot pegs? If so, are they loose at least? Sometimes the exhaust collars can be rusted in. If you spray them with PB Blaster, wait a few minutes, then raise and lower the pipes at the muffler end. Working them up and down like that usually breaks them loose.

Note that if you remove the exhaust, you will need to replace the copper exhaust gaskets. They can not be reused, and attempting to do so will cause exhaust leaks and back-firing. Once you get the pipes off, you may not even realize there were gaskets there. They will usually be flattened out and stuck on the cylinder head where the pipes came off. A small screwdriver will pry out the gasket fairly easily.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Logan vandam

Re: RE: Re: Dropping the exhaust?

Postby Logan vandam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Folsoml wrote:I can't think of a JIS screw that would be on your exhaust. Can you show a picture of this?

Edit: Are you talking about #10 on this diagram?
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... 50/muffler

If so, that only holds on the heat shield.

Am I understanding correctly that you removed the bolts holding the muffler to the frame by the rear foot pegs? If so, are they loose at least? Sometimes the exhaust collars can be rusted in. If you spray them with PB Blaster, wait a few minutes, then raise and lower the pipes at the muffler end. Working them up and down like that usually breaks them loose.

Note that if you remove the exhaust, you will need to replace the copper exhaust gaskets. They can not be reused, and attempting to do so will cause exhaust leaks and back-firing. Once you get the pipes off, you may not even realize there were gaskets there. They will usually be flattened out and stuck on the cylinder head where the pipes came off. A small screwdriver will pry out the gasket fairly easily.
Yes number ten, I was thinking that was only for that plate but was having no luck getting it all off. And the copper copper ring your talking about you refuring too number two or three on that diagram. I'm assuming three. Two are the weird clamps but don't have them out enough to have three out so if so I'm not going to drop em and just clean them so I don't have to replace that.
Thanks

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:21 pm

seems to me there are some bolts that go up to the frame underneath. And it is all one part. All 4 pipes and 2 muffs. I remember it being a pain in the ass on the 84 i parted out but that was several years ago.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Logan vandam

Re: RE: Re: Dropping the exhaust?

Postby Logan vandam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:37 pm

cb650 wrote:seems to me there are some bolts that go up to the frame underneath. And it is all one part. All 4 pipes and 2 muffs. I remember it being a pain in the ass on the 84 i parted out but that was several years ago.
Thanks, I've decided I'll just clean her up with them still attached. Just was confusing that they wouldn't come out. Seemed like I got all the bolts and still just a slight wiggle.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:53 pm

cb650 wrote:seems to me there are some bolts that go up to the frame underneath. And it is all one part. All 4 pipes and 2 muffs. I remember it being a pain in the ass on the 84 i parted out but that was several years ago.

The DOHC Nighthawk 650 had the pipes with a connector under the engine. These pipes also had the two bolts that connect to the bottom of the engine. The CB900C had those pipes as well, but not the CB750C. I wonder if it was needed because of the oil cooler set up on those bike.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Logan vandam

Postby Logan vandam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Polishing everything up Image

Return to “General Discussion”