Shorter cables and brake line

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

CPowell1994

Shorter cables and brake line

Postby CPowell1994 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:03 am

So after putting the drag bars on my bike, I didn't exactly take into consideration the throttle cables, clutch cable, and brake line being too long. I bought new throttle cables (needed them even before the new bars), but they're stock length. I've looked into shortening them myself but am not 100% sure on that. My main concern in ordering a custom brake line or a kit is that I'm not sure of the rise on the stock bars. I measured somewhere around 7 1/2-8 inches, but I'm not sure I measured correctly. If I did measure correctly, do I just need to get a brake line 7-8" shorter than stock? Also, if I order this ( https://www.jpcycles.com/product/240-83 ... brake-line ) do I need pipe fittings between the threaded line ends and the banjo fittings? Sorry for the tons of questions, I just want to make sure I get "go" and "whoa" right before it's on the road.
Loud pipes save lives. Pissing off everyone around you is just a bonus.

GeorgeSweety

Re: Shorter cables and brake line

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:18 am

I must have missed this question :roll: I'm still unsure whether the CB650Z was ever sold in the US, if it was then the cables from one of these models were considerably shorter than the Custom version with the higher bars.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... z%2081.htm

Folsoml

Re: Shorter cables and brake line

Postby Folsoml » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:33 am

You may want to check around where you live for a hydraulic or brake shop that may custom make them for you. I have a CarQuest Auto Parts store that will custom make brake lines in just a few hours--and it's cheaper than buying them online!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Return to “General Discussion”