So would you use this to transport your 650?

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

So would you use this to transport your 650?

Postby juntjoo » Sun May 06, 2018 5:46 pm

https://m.harborfreight.com/automotive- ... 62837.html

It's got a 400 lb cap and I think the bike is like 460lb right? Anyway I've read a lot of people exceeding weight capacities as if there's usually a bit of room beyond the max weight. Any experience anyone? Otherwise is there another way a single person can get this bike onto the bed of smaller pickup? I've seen ramps but you need another person. I'd surely drop the bike myself. I actually though have a nice dip in my driveway(I'll post pic) that lowers the opened gate a bit towards the ground. What do ya think? Probably just grab a heavier duty version of this rack?

Dipped driveway https://imgur.com/a/3WdzpHh
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Re: So would you use this to transport your 650?

Postby Folsoml » Mon May 07, 2018 2:58 pm

I'm always somewhat hesitant to use anything from Harbor Freight that will potentially take something important with it when it breaks. :( I had a Harbor Freight wheel chock on my trailer. It gave way one day as I was coming to a stop and let my CB900C roll forward and fall over. Fortunately, it only damaged the fairing, but that was $400 to replace.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon May 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Folsoml wrote:I'm always somewhat hesitant to use anything from Harbor Freight that will potentially take something important with it when it breaks. :( I had a Harbor Freight wheel chock on my trailer. It gave way one day as I was coming to a stop and let my CB900C roll forward and fall over. Fortunately, it only damaged the fairing, but that was $400 to replace.

Ouch. Good point. And no, I won't risk it. Too bad they don't have a 600lb rated one. I'm getting a trailer though eventually. I just wish there was an easier way to just plop it up on the bed. Maybe just a ramp and install a cheap winch? I've no idea how that would work or if even practical... Just googled and it's seems viable. Little $100 winch can pull 3 of these bikes. Seen anyone do that? If not I may be the first...
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon May 07, 2018 3:09 pm

https://youtu.be/znM7ZPONGow

Not the best mounting method but looks like it works!
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue May 08, 2018 6:21 am

That's pretty cool! I wonder if the winch is removable, and that's why the mount looks like it does.

I actually have a winch that came from a camper that I rebuilt (and did not need the winch). The bed of my trailer is pretty high and my motorcycle is very heavy (Harley Electra Glide). I should rig something like that up.

For me, the difficult part comes when you step either up on to or down off of the trailer. Most loading mishaps I've had come at that point. That may still be an issue with a rig like this.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 am

Folsoml wrote:That's pretty cool! I wonder if the winch is removable, and that's why the mount looks like it does.

I actually have a winch that came from a camper that I rebuilt (and did not need the winch). The bed of my trailer is pretty high and my motorcycle is very heavy (Harley Electra Glide). I should rig something like that up.

For me, the difficult part comes when you step either up on to or down off of the trailer. Most loading mishaps I've had come at that point. That may still be an issue with a rig like this.

Yeah, and my guns aren't that big so I don't trust my ability to keep it up either. But the winch would def help.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Return to “General Discussion”