CBX 650 E parts?

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Steffense

CBX 650 E parts?

Postby Steffense » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Hello.

I recently bought a CBX 650 E wich im struggeling a bit with, it wont start.

The carbs seems to be leaking, so i want to buy new float needles since its from the overflow at carb 1+2.

It seems like CBX 650 E carb repair kits arent easy to get cheap, does anybody knows if 650 CBS parts fits for the CBX carbs?

Thanks in advance.

themaddrebel

Re: CBX 650 E parts?

Postby themaddrebel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:21 am

If your float needles are not sealing, a good fix is this. Remove carbs, set on table upside down, remove bowls, remove floats and needles, take a q-tip and cut 1 end off and put in drill, apply a small amount of toothpaste to q-tip and polish brass seat. Take a clean q-tip and run it through after. This cleans the entire brass seat, thus allowing needle to travel freely.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Steffense

Postby Steffense » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:26 am

Thanks! Will try that.

So i put the carb back on yesterday after the cleaning, still leaking but now engine will start, got a lot of good info on this forum. Appreciate it!

themaddrebel

Postby themaddrebel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:57 am

Check your floats, pour some gas in a can or bowl. Take floats out of carbs, place them one at a time in the gas. Wait 5 minutes, see if they sink. If one or all sink, they have a hole

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:24 pm

themaddrebel wrote:Check your floats, pour some gas in a can or bowl. Take floats out of carbs, place them one at a time in the gas. Wait 5 minutes, see if they sink. If one or all sink, they have a hole

Good idea but I can see two problems with that. The first is that they will float whatever you do! The second is that if there is a hole on either the top or the bottom of the floats......they are gonna float.

I would check them by placing them in an empty bowl but place a significant weight on top of the float then filling the bowl with fuel. If there is any sign of tiny air bubbles you have found your leak (if in fact there is one). Then I would turn the floats upside down and place the weight back on them to check for a leak on the bottom side of the float.

Well that's what I'd do to check for a leaking float.

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:28 pm

I presume you have already given the leaking float bowls a good sharp tap with a screwdriver handle to shock a sticky float valve loose and into position?

Steffense

Postby Steffense » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:52 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:I presume you have already given the leaking float bowls a good sharp tap with a screwdriver handle to shock a sticky float valve loose and into position?

Thanks for your inputs aswell! Will try that, one of the needles is stuck so the spring doesnt work, do you think that can cause this problem?(i ordered a new im waiting for delivery of)

Right now im working on the brakes, and some parts for them, when i recieve it all i will take the carbs off the bike again.

So to summerize i started by cleaning the carbs, put them on, tried to start the bike, it couldnt start, i saw a leak.
I took the carbs up and checked the floats and saw that the pilot screw on one carb was missing and the others was drived to bottom, i took them out, cleaned them and inserted them to bottom and about 2 1/2 turn out, plugged the missing screw with a short bolt, when i installed the carb again it was still leaking so i took of the tank, but now it could start the engine and run for about 30 seconds, guess it ran out of gas in the carbs. It restored my faith in this whole project :-)

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:49 pm

Steffense wrote:
GeorgeSweety wrote:I presume you have already given the leaking float bowls a good sharp tap with a screwdriver handle to shock a sticky float valve loose and into position?

Thanks for your inputs aswell! Will try that, one of the needles is stuck so the spring doesnt work, do you think that can cause this problem?(i ordered a new im waiting for delivery of)

Right now im working on the brakes, and some parts for them, when i recieve it all i will take the carbs off the bike again.

So to summerize i started by cleaning the carbs, put them on, tried to start the bike, it couldnt start, i saw a leak.
I took the carbs up and checked the floats and saw that the pilot screw on one carb was missing and the others was drived to bottom, i took them out, cleaned them and inserted them to bottom and about 2 1/2 turn out, plugged the missing screw with a short bolt, when i installed the carb again it was still leaking so i took of the tank, but now it could start the engine and run for about 30 seconds, guess it ran out of gas in the carbs. It restored my faith in this whole project :-)

Yes the spring on your float valve will cause you problems but you need to get a new one before you proceed, you also need to wait until you have four mixture screws (pilot screws as you call them), four springs, four metal washers and four o-rings. Without all of these you will end up chasing your tail, eliminate each problem as you find them, do not try to work around them or you will get nowhere.

Steffense

Postby Steffense » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Im quite aware of the fact that new and proper working parts is needed, the issue for me so far is that im not sure that im able to get a license plate for and be able to drive it on the road when(if) its in proper condition.

I gave about 500 dollars for the bike and until i know wether i can get the bike registered for road use, im not going to be ordering a lot of new parts. How ever the other CBX 650 Es for sale in my country that is licensed is about 4.000 dollars, so if im able to get i registered i will have a fine budget to order parts for and get it fully restored.

I did order a carb kit and will provide a update when its fitted, so maybe somebody else can learn from my experiences :-)

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Steffense wrote:Im quite aware of the fact that new and proper working parts is needed, the issue for me so far is that im not sure that im able to get a license plate for and be able to drive it on the road when(if) its in proper condition.

I gave about 500 dollars for the bike and until i know wether i can get the bike registered for road use, im not going to be ordering a lot of new parts. How ever the other CBX 650 Es for sale in my country that is licensed is about 4.000 dollars, so if im able to get i registered i will have a fine budget to order parts for and get it fully restored.

I did order a carb kit and will provide a update when its fitted, so maybe somebody else can learn from my experiences :-)

What Country are you in?

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Steffense wrote:Im quite aware of the fact that new and proper working parts is needed, the issue for me so far is that im not sure that im able to get a license plate for and be able to drive it on the road when(if) its in proper condition.

Wow, I totally didn't see the X and the E, that would be a CBX 650E DOHC motor :roll: This site is for SOHC bikes, not that anything I said is wrong for motorcycles in general, I know absolutely nothing about Honda DOHC engines.

Return to “General Discussion”