Why does my light switch have 3 positions?

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

Why does my light switch have 3 positions?

Postby juntjoo » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:49 am

The middle one does nothing. Is it supposed to be 'off'? I'd like it to be. If not, anyone ever wire it to be off? Off quick glance it looks like you'd run a couple wires from the ignition over to the left handlebar to the switch then maybe I do some soldering? Or just already-made handlebar fitted switch for like $12 and put it next to the ignition nice easy and clean but your brain doesn't like that it has to consider which arm does which light related task. Idk.

Oh, and the book says it's "n" position and nothing more. So I guess that could mean 'neutral' maybe? Hopefully it's not racist lol.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Re: Why does my light switch have 3 positions?

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi JJ, if you want a switch to turn your lights off then look for a right hand switch gear from a UK Honda CB650, not too sure about European bikes but I know the UK bikes have a lights ON/OFF switch. You won't even have to touch the wiring as the UK switch plugs straight in to the US wiring in the headlamp. BTW, I haven't got a clue about the left switch as I don't usually ride in the dark.

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Thanks!
82" cb650 Nighthawk

flatlander80

Postby flatlander80 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:29 pm

I’d like to see a pic of the switch you’re talking about. The light switch should have 3 wires. Power, which runs from the starter switch (the power is actually disconnected when the starter switch is pushed), then out to low beam (usually white) and high beam (usually blue). The switch shouldn’t have power out to both low and high at the same time... maybe that’s why it looks like there’s 3 positions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”