NOS engine for sale

Postby Ibsen » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:00 am

This NOS engine is up for sale on Ebay:

LINK

Volker_P

Re: NOS engine for sale

Postby Volker_P » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:32 am

Hey, thanks, great!
The top valve covers are usually found on the CB650C. Three cooling fins at the rear head end means that this is a piston carbs (PD 5X) head (as far as I remember).
I wonder about the rubber camshaft seals. If Honda did not prepare them for storage, it's hard to imagine that they are still tight after 25 years just sitting around more or less dry. Nevertheless this is a unique chance to get an engine without any wear on moving parts.
And congratulation, you made the 100th posting in this forum. :lol:

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:41 am

Volker, I looked at a few different pictures, and I found the same cooling fins on both the CV carb cylinder head and the PD carbs cylinder head. But I seem to remember that the valve covers had SOHC650 stamped on them for the PD carb model( the 79 US model and the European Z models), while the CV carb model( the US C and the US/European SC) had the valve covers this engine have got. But I might be wrong about it though.

Anyway, I seem to remember that the only secure way to separate the two different heads is by measuring the distance between the intake ports.

This is what Robert wrote about the difference when he tried to swop the two different heads:

"Compared to the intake ports on the PD carb cylinder head, the cyl.head intake ports for the CV carb cylinder head are shifted 4 mm (0.16 in.) inwards for both of the outer cylinders (cyl. #1 and #4) and 6 mm (0.24 in.) outwards for both of the inner cylinders (cyl. #2 and #3)."

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:20 am

Hi Ibsen,
So we both talk about the small vertical fins (2-3cm length) on the top rear side of the uppermost main horizontal fin (see below) ? I am sure that the CV head has one less there. Unfortunately Roberts pictures are gone with the old forum. I do not think I still have a CV head to look up. Hmm :?
I am not aware of any relation between carbs and valve covers. Anyway, it is very easy to exchange them.
I agree that measuring is the safe way to find out. :D

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:46 pm

Yes, those are the ones. But as I said, I might be wrong about it. :)

Volker_P

Re: NOS engine for sale

Postby Volker_P » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:15 am

Ibsen, you are right, the number of cooling fins is identical for both heads.
The difference cannot be read from the three outermost rear fins but of the five very small vertical ones next to them above the intake. The intake begins at the third (counted from outside) of these five small fins for the piston carb head while for the CV Carb head it starts at the second (of also five). So I think that's the origin of my 2 vs. 3 fin fairy-tale. :oops:
The ebay picture is taped there, so it is not possible to identify this head by counting fins. Sorry to initiate confusion.
I think I really start to get old. Maybe I should use the opportunity to initiate my midlife crisis. :D

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:45 am

Here the 79 had the OHC650 covers and in 80 they went plain. Both had slider carbs. Have to look at the fins. Both of my 81s have the 79 covers.

Terry

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:07 am

As I suspected, I was wrong regarding the valve covers. :)

This is the cylinder head for the slide carbs:

Return to “General Discussion”