Adult version engine now! :)

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Volker_P

Adult version engine now! :)

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:59 am

As some may remember, after the quick, successful test last year I kept looking for a 63hp camshaft. I finally got a good one some time ago for 55EUR and managed to pass technical inspection where I finally legalized my at least 15 year old Mecadapo silencers (thanks again to Robert for the exhaust documents) and also got rid off the stupid tire brand restriction. :D
I also learned what "wirksame Breite" (effective width) of a handlebar means and will be able to tell the police next time they come with their ruler ... :P
Non-Germans probably do not know now what I talk about. Don't worry, this is a reason to be happy. :wink:

Finally, after all now I am (like probably most of you) the proud owner of a 63hp CB650. As already stated elsewhere, there is a small but feelable increase of power and torque and the engine just runs a bit better without asking for re-jetting or other modifications. Fuel consumption seems identical or even reduced. Next item to try out is side-gapped spark plugs.

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:18 am

Welcome to the 63hp club. :mrgreen:

With an increased torque in the lower rpm area the fuel consumption often are reduced.

Volker_P

Re: Adult version engine now! :)

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:40 am

Thanks. I hope to get it tamed and it will not tear my old engine to pieces. :lol:
And I also hope for the opportunity of a long term comparison of fuel consumption.
During the change of the camshaft I got the idea to add a small O-Ring into the rev counter cam holder where it always was leaking oil a bit. So it seems my engine is now perfectly tight for the first time since I have it. Which means it took me 15 years and 70000km. :oops:

Buber

Postby Buber » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:33 am

So, for the fellow europeans - where did you get one? I woudl happily install one, providing i can find it in reasonable price....

Thanks!

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:15 am

Buber, they are up for sale on Ebay USA from time to time. I bought a spare cam that way last winter, and the price wasn't bad either, and the cam was in very good shape. Just make sure you get the one with the high lobes (63hp).

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:18 am

Hi Buber,

I bought mine from www.bike-teile.de which is a German internet platform for dealers to offer new or used parts. Currently there is an offer from the dealer I got mine from, however he now wants 89EUR + shipping :?. I would not have spent that much.

When you have the chance get one, make sure all lobes are allright. I have a 63hp one that is really perfect except for two lobes. But fixing that would have been above 100EUR (probably even per lobe but I did not ask for details any more then :shock:).

For identification:
63hp means assymetric ~36mm lobes, 50hp is symmetric 33mm lobes. Here is a picture showing both versions for comparison:

Buber

Postby Buber » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks guys! I have that picture already, and makes me envoius... to think that you have them already :D

Seems the best way is to use mine US contacts, get it there, and have it sent over... Let teh autumn come, as now the weather is just too pretty.... :)

Thanks again!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:26 am

Yes, enjoy riding as it is. I still had fun after the change back to 50hp last year so the effect is not really that dramatic to justify to much cost or effort.

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:31 am

So, is the 63hp version the "stock" cam out of the US model '79 CB650?

Buber

Postby Buber » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:40 am

Reviving an old thread, but... my 63 bhp camshaft just came from Canada (for peanuts, really :P ) and now i need to locate a friendly workshop with dynamometric wrench, and hopefully tomorrow I will have it running too!!!
And of course, I will post my impressions.

Buber

Postby Buber » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:08 am

Sooo, where to start?
Replacemen went smooth, except 3 threads that needed helicoil, but after that it was all straightforward. Impressions? Well, definitely better pull, and overall more "brute" behaviour - bit more vibrations, more grunt, and definitely much louder :D
As per economy, i need to go through this tank to say something. I'm hoping for good results. Next I will play with main jest and opening of the airbox.
Aha! And it does warm up faster, and runs a bit hotter, but it's no big bother.

So - I'm a happy camper now. I do have an ADULT engine now!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:35 am

Buber wrote: So - I'm a happy camper now. I do have an ADULT engine now!

Congratulations! I guess you will find it really worth it. :D
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

cosky

Postby cosky » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:53 am

I put a cb550 camshaft in mine ansd gas flowed the head now in getting 68hp output.
We are the people our parents warned us about

http://www.members.tripod.com/coskys0/id18.htm

Buber

Postby Buber » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:26 am

Cosky - just don't... :mrgreen: It took me some time to find one and ship it here. Now you are telling me I need to find another? :lol: :lol:

Now seriously - engine truly pulls stronger, but... I think the consumption actually went up. Anyway - today is Friday, I'm riding for a small meeting, I will go through 2 tanks probably, so I will report on Monday.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:21 am

If you make use of the increased power, it is no surprise that the consumption goes up. :lol:
I found absolutely no difference there when keeping my riding style identical and I think Robert reported the same. But maybe the CV carbs (I think you have?) behave different here.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “General Discussion”