General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

scunny

Red headed step child

Postby scunny » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:06 am

Good luck with this forum.
CB650 scattered in the garage

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:26 am

I guess I like redheads. I also have a 360 twin and most of the 350 guys hate them.

Terry

scott_cb650

Bastard Step Child

Postby scott_cb650 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:29 am

Mine has been called the Bastard Step Child.

I still love her.

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:11 pm

According to an article written in Classic Motorcycle mechanics a few years back, the 650 is the best SOHC model Honda built. :D

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:37 am

Always nice to feel like I've contributed..."The SOHC for the thinking man" has a nice ring to it. :D
'99 1500 Drifter

jotor

Postby jotor » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:42 pm

Ibsen wrote:According to an article written in Classic Motorcycle mechanics a few years back, the 650 is the best SOHC model Honda built. :D

Did they mention that the '82 Nighthawk was the best 650?

Joe

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:15 am

I'm not shure you wan't to know what they wrote about the Nighthawk. :lol:

They liked the engine, and they felt that the CV carbs on the Nighthawk was working better than the earlier piston carbs.
But the English motorcycle press never liked the Nighthawk style, they described the chromed decals as cheap looking, and they didn't like riding position. And don't shoot me for this one, I'm only the messenger, but they named it the "Shitehawk". :roll:

Zeke

Postby Zeke » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:39 pm

Hey Y'all:

Yep, that was me called us the "red-headed stepchild" on the SOHC forum. It's alway kind of bothered me that to get help over there you have to hide your identity, or nobody's interested. Most problems are general anyway, and in that sense all SOHC are very similar.

I have a 1980 650C, and to be honest with you I prefer the 650 standard better. I like the boxy-looking tank, and the forks are a bit shorter.

Ibsen's 650Z was only offered in Europe and features a different riding position than any American 650.

Ibsen, maybe one of these days you can take some measurements of your pegs and shifter, from some point which is in common with all cb650s -- I think it would be interesting to fabricate something to mimic the more agressive handling position of the Z on my bike.

The 82 bike was known to be fast, but the styling was definately modernized, and a bit more cruiser-like. Don't get me wrong, but it's no wonder 20 years ago it wasn't well received in Europe, where at the time all bikes sold there were styled to compete against british bikes.

Anyway, thanks for setting up this site. I still plan to use the other site as it holds a wealth of SOHC info, but I'm looking forward to commiserating with my fellow 650 riders!

out

Return to “General Discussion”