WOW thats expensive

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

kbailey

WOW thats expensive

Postby kbailey » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:44 pm

I had my first experience trying to get parts for my bike yesterday. so far in the 6 years I have owned it nothing major has needed replaced. I have bought oil filter etc. but no real parts. I called my local honda dealer to find out the price on a regulator/rectifier and a starter. Both parts approached $300 each.:shock: Then he told me the RR was discontinued and not available from any dealer. I had no idea that cb650 parts were approaching the vaule of their weight in gold. I might just have a retirement account in used parts from a running bike sitting outside. looks like its ebay for me.

'84 cb650 nighthawk

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:46 am

Too bad they won't go for that much on Ebay. Dealerships always have a way of making things incredibly expensive. OEM parts and all that...

You could go on Ebay and get a R/R and starter for less than $100 combined. Probably way less. These bikes were never really popular, so used parts for them aren't gonna run very high. Course, parts from Ebay could already be completely worn out. I'm always amazed at how many used sprockets and chains I see people selling (and people bidding on!)

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:30 am

You can get a new RR from Elctrosport for $99.
And is it the starter, or the stator you need? I saw a starter up for sale on Ebay right now, and if you need a stator, you can get a new one for $129.

http://www.electrosport.com/electrospor ... honda.html

kbailey

ebay parts

Postby kbailey » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:43 am

The unpopularity of these bikes leaves the existing parts on the market at a higher price for those of us that DO still have them. as time goes on the demand for parts for the bikes still in service will grow while the availability of used parts will dry up. unfortunately, not every bike that goes out of service will be harvested for parts. until yesterday if my bike died permanently I would not have even considered parting it out. now the idea of parting this one to raise funds to buy a new one seems to be attractive. anyway...

I have bids in on both parts right now. the RR is at $12.50 and the starter is at $75.01. yes it is the starter not the stator. in my diagnoses my stator seems to be up to spec. I don't know exactly how to test a starter other than; does it start the engine? if there is a good way let me know. I feel that my starter is sontinuing to get weaker. even with a battery fresh off the charger it cannot turn over a hot engine, and even a cold one is slow. the fact that I can start it at all is a testament to the ease with which my engine starts. If I get it to turn over with any speed it only takes a half second or so to fire up. I wish I had a kick starter, it would work well.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:12 am

When the starter is heated up by the engine it tends to turn slower beacuse the resistance in the windings will increase with heat. It sometimes help to clean the starter moter, all the connectors on the starter, the battery and the starter relay, and put in new carbon brushes. Also a corroded ground connection between the battery and the engine/frame can sometimes create this problem.

As far as I have seen, parts for classic motorcycles seems to have the same price regardless brand and model. I also have a Kawasaki, and the spare part prices are no better than for the CB. 8)

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:14 am

Anonymous wrote:When the starter is heated up by the engine it tends to turn slower beacuse the resistance in the windings will increase with heat. It sometimes help to clean the starter moter, all the connectors on the starter, the battery and the starter relay, and put in new carbon brushes. Also a corroded ground connection between the battery and the engine/frame can sometimes create this problem.

As far as I have seen, parts for classic motorcycles seems to have the same price regardless brand and model. I also have a Kawasaki, and the spare part prices are no better than for the CB. 8)

Sorry, I forgot to log in. :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”