Fork swap

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

my79650

Re: Fork swap

Postby my79650 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:48 am

Enough of this; i got another set of seals from a swap meet and they do have the lip. Left fork is really bad now. Going to buy another set of complete forks, tubes etc. and change the whole works as this is getting out of hand. Must be scored up bad as yesterday when i was for a drive i looked at the left fork several times and the road was rough; so it was bubling out fluid at the 9:00 position running right down the tube. Just tired of seals getting ruined after 6 months to a year.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:36 am

Ok now; i pulled the left fork apart and there was a gouge just under the seal on the lip below the seal. anyone who had this type of fork apart knows what i'm speaking about, I cleaned the fork out with kerosene and let it dry.
Then i used some gasket silicone to fill in the gouge and let is set overnight; then replaced the seal with a new one and then filled with some tranny fluid i had in case it leaks again; 500 miles later its still fine, no more leaks.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:25 am

Was suggested to me on the sohc forum to get a baby bottle with the proper markings; got one so today i am going to drain my forks completely and start over on the refill as i am bottoming out sometimes, since i only put in a guess at 5oz, of tranny fluid. No leaks yet but i want to have the forks filled up proper.

Return to “General Discussion”