building a chopper

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

geor3594

building a chopper

Postby geor3594 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:41 pm

Hi Guys im new to motorcycle mechanics and I had some question for people that know something about choppers. My main question is when you buy a frame for your chopper how much does that influence your chopper ? as far as types of engines to put in the frame/ gas tank/ front forks/ seat.

you can e-mail me at geor3594@fredonia.edu if you feel like educating someone on choppers. or post if you dont.

Thanks !

Volker_P

Re: building a chopper

Postby Volker_P » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:03 am

Welcome here! :D
The frame is quite important as the engine often is part of it and provides the required stiffness at the mounting points. So basically it is a good idea to use the frame to the engine one likes to use.
But I am no chopper guy, I think there are a few here, but e.g. at SOHC.net there are many guys with CB 4cyl. chopper projects that can help you.
BTW, if you are really new to motorcycle mechanics, it is not really straightforward to start with a self-made composition. Like everywhere, some experience is required to get ahead reasonably. Don't expect to have much fun from an effort by yourself just with support from some forum. You need one or more experts that you can ask and look how they work and that occasionally sit around your bike and discuss what is possible and how one might like to proceed.
One should also note hat most choppers are hard to ride and are mainly created for the look and the fun of playing around with ideas and parts.
So this should be what you are looking for. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:49 pm

Welcome. I've never built a motorcycle chopper, but I've built several bicycle choppers. I can tell you from riding those that there's no way I'd enjoy riding a motorcycle chopper in any of the dimensions I used. IMO, choppers look cool and are fun to build, but are not very fun to ride. They get you lots of attention and the reactions you get from people are very satisfying when you've done the work yourself. Other than that they're not a very practical form of transportation. Bobbers on the other hand seem like a much more useful design if you really wanna modify a bike.

That said, my favorite Honda chopper site is HondaChopper.com. There you can find a kickass gallery with lots and lots of neat ideas, a copy of the Honda Chopper Bible from 1972, and alot of other links and articles. Lucky for you, it looks like they've finally revamped their gallery so you'll have much better luck navigating it than I did years ago. Enjoy! 8)
1980 CB650c

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Sounds like Way to much work to me to ride one but they shure do look great.
A>
<A

BT650

Postby BT650 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:14 pm

Budget Bobber in progress...
Attachments
Bike2.jpg
Bike2.jpg (102.19 KiB) Viewed 9260 times
1981 CB650C Low Budget Bobber

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:11 pm

Welcome, BT650. :) Chain needs oil. :wink:
1980 CB650c

BT650

Postby BT650 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:30 pm

Tough crowd.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:51 pm

Tell me about it!
We are all right when you get to know us.
Ok let me refrase that we are not all right in the head we are just moody but helpfull. :lol:
I still don't see how that bike fall under chopper I don't think shopping off the seat and fender was what was he had in mind by chopper.
At least not what I had in mind when I came to this thread.
But I guess it is all in how you define chopper. :lol:
A>
<A

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:51 am

Ha! Just messin' with ya, BT650. :lol: Some of us notice these things and feel compelled to point them out.

OK, I think that technically that one's a bobber, arcangel, but choppers and bobbers often fall into one catagory. You said all he did was CHOPPED off the seat and fender, I think that's enough to make it a CHOPper. I believe the treatment of the rear fender is referred to as 'bobbing' a fender. :)
1980 CB650c

BT650

Postby BT650 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Yeah, it's probably more of a bobber than chopper. At least it still uses the stock frame which is what I was trying to show. I was hoping to hear if it looked good or bad. Most of the bobbers or choppers I've seen look pretty tacky. It's hard to do one and make it tasteful without welding a new rear section and changing the rake. I would have went stock with mine, but it was just too far gone when I got it, and this was the least expensive way to make it look better.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:33 pm

When I think of choppers I think long front forks.

A bobber is when you bob the tail.
I think yours looks fine, but I just like the fender on most bikes my self.
A>
<A

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:12 am

Or you could go with the peace of mind of having a very reputible manufacturer (Honda, of course) do all of the R&D for you. 8)

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/16january09_honda_fury.htm

This looks like a rideable piece. It's not as big as you might think from the photos. There are photos w/rider at Honda.com that put size in a better perspective, assuming that the rider pictured is average build. And let's not forget that it comes with a factory warranty. No price yet. :roll:
1980 CB650c

cosky

Postby cosky » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:04 pm

this is my creation, a 1979 CB650Z chopper
Attachments
IMG_1383.JPG
IMG_1383.JPG (34.9 KiB) Viewed 9034 times
We are the people our parents warned us about

http://www.members.tripod.com/coskys0/id18.htm

Return to “General Discussion”