Tach Cable problem….

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

The Volt

Tach Cable problem….

Postby The Volt » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:10 pm

I cant seem to remove my tachometer cable from the little housing that bolts into the valve cover. I removed the small bolt, on the side and it feels like the cable is loose and can wiggle around, I just cant seem to pull it out. It feels like I'm going to break something. Any ideas?

The Volt

Re: Tach Cable problem….

Postby The Volt » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Also, these spamming idiots posting garbage on this forum are out of control and need to be shutdown, I'm pretty sure anyone on a Honda CB650 forum isn't too interested in buying a knock off Louis Vitton handbag!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:02 am

Sorry I am a bit slow with deleting this stuff at the moment.

The bolt sits inside a circular groove at the end of the tach cable. It should come out as soon as the bolt is pulled.
Maybe some clever fellow used loctite to seal it. Then heat is the solution. But be careful and do it with the cover still installed as you may warp it when trying this disassembled.

My solution for tightness there is to throw in a thin-walled O-ring and then press in the tach cable a bit and block it with the bolt. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

The Volt

Postby The Volt » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks Volker, I will try to heat it up and see if that works.

totem12

Postby totem12 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:33 pm

Hey, i was wanting one of those bags...you know, to carry my tools in...just had trouble finding the maroon one to match my 81 custom.....one way to look cool !!!!

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:07 am

I ordered mine too!!!
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

The Volt

Postby The Volt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Haha you guys are going to be quite the fashionable bike riders! 8) I thought maybe you guys were going to cut up the handbags and make designer seat covers. :wink:

Volker, as for the tach cable I heated it up and still could not get it out of the housing. I actually pulled so hard that I ripped the cable apart from the aluminum cable end housing. I guess I will get it out one piece at a time. I have the motor out of the bike, and out of the whole teardown process this has been the only frustrating problem. Who would have thought….

Return to “General Discussion”