New member, new project

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

scott s

Re: New member, new project

Postby scott s » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:17 pm

Another thing that worked better after a little heat in the engine and carb tuning was the tach! I'm getting almost zero noise in the signal now.

I still need to program the speedo and make a change on the main jets, then figure out what to do about the side covers. Other wise, I'm ready to put some miles on this sucker!
Here she is with her new look!

cmouta

Postby cmouta » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Wow, excellent build!!!
Chris

1982 Candy Flair Blue Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
2006 Bajaj Chetak 4T with scooterworks usa sidecar
2013 Fiat 500C Abarth
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti T5 MT

scott s

Postby scott s » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Well, I determined it is possible to change the main jets on the bike. A bit of a PITA, especially the #2 carb bowl, but it's possible.
I had one....ONE screw on the #2 bowl that I thought was gonna mess me up. Finally got it out and I replaced all the screws with allen head bolts, just in case I have to do this again.

I was a little concerned with the jets I have. They're for the PD carbs on the 550 and while the height, length, thread, etc., are all the same, the size of the head is smaller.

After determining that they seat properly, extend into the fuel bowl the same length, etc., and conferring with a couple of people whose opinions I value and trust (Thanks, Pete and Dad!), I decided to use them.

I haven't done a proper plug chop yet, but the bike runs great and the plugs have some color to them now. Still clean, but definitely more tan/cream colored than before.
Pics later, once the bike cools down.

scott s

Postby scott s » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Took it for a short test ride, topped off the tank, and returned home to check the plugs. After being satisfied that it wasn't too lean, I rode up to my Dad's work to let him have a look at her.
Between my house and his work, it developed and oil leak on the RH outer valve cover bolt. Same leak that I had on the LH side and repaired with an O-ring. I had actually put an O-ring under this side as well, but it split and covered my leg and the bike with oil.

I borrowed Dad's truck and ran to Lowe's, where I picked up a couple of pack of O-rings, some rags and an 8 mm wrench.
Repaired it in the parking lot at Dad's office.

I'll probably put on of these on the LH side as well.

Other than that, she runs great. I can probably adjust the shift linkage on the 400F pegs and/or the clutch and get a little bit better shifting action, but it's about 96% right now.
Still need to do some math and set the speedometer function, and I'll have to take a link or two out of the longer chain.
Other than that, and figuring out what to do about making the side covers fit snugly, I think she's about done!

scott s

Postby scott s » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Well....I thought I was done. After watching my Dad (who is a good bit taller and more...substantial...than me) ride the bike, I'm really concerned about how low the muffler/exhaust hangs. He managed to drag the bolt on the slip joint already.

The exhaust sounds amazing, performs well and whatever coating that's on there is really nice. I'd like to keep it.
I have some good, stock shocks from a CB750 that were on the bike previously. I can set them on the stiffest setting and they're 13.25" long. I'd like to give the Hagons a shot, but they're only 11.75" long. I think I'll swap shocks tomorrow and see what that does to the stance and exhaust clearance. If it helps, I'll start looking for some quality ~13-13.5" shocks.

Here's a little vid of Dad riding up and down the street in front of my house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-0fPQI- ... e=youtu.be

Did I mention that I got the speedo programmed? It looks like I may have to trim the side covers a little to fit over the K&N's. If this were a 550F, the smaller triangular covers would fit perfectly.

scott s

Postby scott s » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Swapped out the Hagons for some nice stockers that I previously had on the bike. These are CB750 shocks and are 13" long. I set them on the firmest setting and it really changed the stance, look and feel of the bike, plus gave me some much needed clearance for the exhaust.
While we were in there, we removed two links from the chain and adjusted the rear brake arm.

scott s

Postby scott s » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:36 pm

New pics with the longer shocks.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:50 pm

I been using 81 750 F shocks if you can find a decent set. Another inch longer and a little stiffer.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

scott s

Postby scott s » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Some fresh pics from today. One shows my Dad's '83 Yamaha XS Heritage Special (lots of mods on this one, too).
We took a ~115 mile shakedown run today and the bike performed flawlessly. No leaks, no hard starting issues, charging well, runs GREAT and pulls HARD. Plus, I got 48 mpg.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:37 am

Really good work! :D
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

scott s

Postby scott s » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks! Bike's been running great. I just got rid of some dieseling issues by vacuum synching the carbs and adjusting the valves. The cam chain is a little noisier than I'd like, but not sure what to do about that right now.

I couldn't really enjoy riding the bike because I was constantly checking the side covers to make sure they hadn't flown off. I double zip-tied them to the frame, but they hit the air cleaners and wouldn't seat in the grommets all the way.
I remedied that today! Took my trusty Dremel tool out and did some trimming. Don't worry, one of them already had some small stress cracks and I have another spare set, should I ever decide to go back to a CB500/550 engine and stock air box.

Before:

After:

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Turned out very nice!!!
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Return to “General Discussion”