New member, new project

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

scott s

Re: New member, new project

Postby scott s » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:21 am

New Hagons...

...and new swing arm bushings...

....were installed today. Cleaned and greased the swingarm assembly. In this pic, I was waiting to pick up some washers for the top shock mount.

Last edited by scott s on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott s

Postby scott s » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:21 am

New EBC shoes in the polished hub. I'm a big fan of EBC brakes. I can really tell a difference when I install new EBC pads or shoes.

scott s

Postby scott s » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:25 am

Got the wheels built up; new All Balls bearings installed. I plan on dropping them off today to have the tires mounted and balanced.

That's a 40T rear sprocket. If my math is correct, it should work with the CB650 transmission ratios and the 17T front sprocket to give me correct gearing.

scott s

Postby scott s » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:13 am

Oh, no! My front end exploded!

Not really. We're changing out some busted up fork gaitors and putting in fresh fork oil. I installed new steering stem bearings back when I put the bike back on the road.
We used 80cc of 5wt and 80cc of 10wt, for a total of 160cc of, essentially, 7wt fork oil.

I also installed new EBC pads on the front.

scott s

Postby scott s » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:18 am

I also started disassembly of the gauges, etc. I have a plan for a speedo and a tach with the proper ratio for the 650 cam. I also need to install the 650 clutch cable and choke cable.

It was about this time that I got hit with a 24 hour bug....aches, sore throat, etc. It's absolutely gorgeous here this weekend, too. I should be riding, working in the garage, attending St. Patty's Day festivals. Instead, I'm trying to feel better....ugh.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:43 am

scott s wrote: We used 80cc of 5wt and 80cc of 10wt, for a total of 160cc of, essentially, 7wt fork oil.

Probably to match ATF spec. which is considered to be about 7.5wt?
I use 15wt meanwhile, because I found the stock fork much too soft for me.
However you obviously don't have a CB650 fork so things might be different again.

I really like this project.
However this is nothing one wants to try at German bureaucrazy boundary conditions. :(
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

scott s

Postby scott s » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:55 pm

Hmm...this might be a problem....

The Hagons have been drilled out and fitted with a blot/lockwasher. The studs that I had to replace on the sprocket holder are a touch longer. I believe it would clear if the shocks mounted as stock.
I'll have to figure out something here, for sure.

scott s

Postby scott s » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm going to try running the 550 clutch cable. It's about 6 inches shorter than the 650 cable and should clean up the bars quite a bit. The free length is very close....maybe an 1/8" difference.

scott s

Postby scott s » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Got the wheels back on. That's about all the energy I have for today....that 24 hr. bug I picked up last Saturday is just now leaving....ugh....

scott s

Postby scott s » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Got the exhaust installed today. This is another NOS Jardine exhaust for the CB650.

Dad made up a small bracket for the hanger...

Looks pretty good. I hope it sounds as good as the Jardine on my 550!

I didn't realize how low it seemed until I saw this pic. Maybe it's meant to follow the lines of the CB650 frame? I'll measure my other exhausts and see if it hangs that much lower.
The collector barely touches the centerstand when the bike is up; maybe the thickness of a sheet of paper. When the centerstand is up, it all clears fine.

scott s

Postby scott s » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:00 pm

K&N filters on the carbs.

scott s

Postby scott s » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Trimmed up a stock gauge bracket...

...to fit the Danmoto gauge.

That really cleans up the dash and solves the problem of the CB650 tach drive compatibility.

scott s

Postby scott s » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Got the Danmoto gauge 90% done. I can't test the tach until the engine is running, and we have to fab up a bracket or two for the Hall sensor and magnet.

Turn signals, oil light, neutral light, high beam, background lighting, etc. are all working now.

The pic is a little blurry because I had to turn off the flash.

scott s

Postby scott s » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:08 pm

She runs!

Sorry for the shaky videos....best I could do with my camera.
After adjusting the throttle cable and dealing with some leaky carbs, she fired right up. The custom Pamco ignition uses the stock CB650 "points" plate, and we had to file the adjusting slots to get full advance, but other than an oil leak on ONE valve cover bolt, she's good to go!

I was a little concerned about some valve train noise, but as soon as we got the idle and timing right and a little heat in the engine, it sounds much better. It would probably all disappear once the tank is mounted.

Excuse the temporary wiring and hokey gas supply. Our goal for today was just to get the ignition sorted and hear it run. I'll neaten everything up before I'm done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeE5Fb-CqC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PdT_cBE-TE

We also determined that some of the snapping you may hear in the videos was from the float bowls running dry. Like I said, my fuel supply was a little iffy and the carbs leaked, so I'd fill the bowls, crank it, and turn off the fuel.
I'm sure there's some carb tuning to be done, but what you might be hearing in the video didn't happened when the bowls were full.

scott s

Postby scott s » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:13 pm

The only oil leak was from this valve cover bolt, and it was a pretty good one. I thought I had all the O-rings and seals on the valve cover....
I took an O-ring from my stash and placed it under the bolt head. That stopped the leak completely, but I'm not thrilled about using that as a fix.
One thing's for sure: I'm definitely getting oil to the top end!

Return to “General Discussion”