Hairy experience on ride to work this morning!

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Volker_P

Re: Hairy experience on ride to work this morning!

Postby Volker_P » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:36 am

Mainerider wrote: Are you SURE the carbs are truly clean? This is often the true cause of carb problems.

And just to mention: the true cause of the latter often is dirt in your tank!
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

bubbachicken

Postby bubbachicken » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Well, like I said before, I still think the carbs are in fact NOT clean, at least one of them, but the tank is clean for sure. It also has no rust that I can see. I did notice that today the bike ran incredibly well, and even idled nicely at start with no surging when I got home from a 13 mile run with the new StarTron I added to the non-ethanol fuel I put in the tank today. We shall see how this goes now. I know I still need to pull the rack and clean these beasties out, but cash managed to run out from my tax refund faster than ice cream melts in a campfire, so I am financially close to square one again (argghhh!!!).

I will just have to keep working on it. Oh, by the way, anyone know where I can get a new petcock valve AND in-tank filter? I need to replace the petcock because it is leaking, and I want a new filter in the tank to keep the one on the line looking sexy (LOL!). No, I want to make sure to get everything I can out of the fuel. I also would love to know if anyone has yet discovered a way to install a fuel gauge on these bikes. I will again have a minor amount of money in a few months, and I think with proper prior planning, I may have enough to handle a few of these things. I hope...

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:53 am

Once the bike runs fine the mpg is quite constant. So I never felt the need for a fuel gauge, the odometer turned out sufficient for me.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “General Discussion”