Mismatched exhaust, rough

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

lagronethedestroyer

Mismatched exhaust, rough

Postby lagronethedestroyer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 pm

I took my mufflers off to polish them a bit... I then noticed that a PO had fitted two different kind of exhausts! One actually had baffles, the other was a cheap Chines brand with just a couple of slanted pieces of metal to "muffle" flow. It was completely open!
I rode the bike for a day with no mufflers, and noticed that while I did lack low end power, the bike seemed to run and sound much smoother.

Today, I packed a couple medium steel wool pads in behind these metal slants and pressed in a catalytic converter from a small two stroke bike behind that just to hold it in place. Cat like this http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00Jv ... ters-2.jpg

The bike is much quieter now, seems to start easier, and seems to have more low end/medium range power. I actually stalled the bike with the mufflers off yesterday, and almost every start up had a lug.
Just my experiences, Thanks for reading

-Pierce

lagronethedestroyer

Re: Mismatched exhaust, rough

Postby lagronethedestroyer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:10 pm

I will be keeping an eye on the exhaust flow, btw. I know it getting clogged up is a potential issue. I tried not to pack it very tight, but I had to do something.... I wake up early and have very close neighbors.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:26 am

It might impact mixture, too, so have a look at your plugs. A bit of white is still all right, however snow white is too lean.
Might be all right to look slightly different on both sides in your case.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

lagronethedestroyer

Postby lagronethedestroyer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks Volker, I'll keep an eye on the plugs. If anything the right side is slightly more restrictive now with the steel wool. I can feel a slight pressure difference at idle, barely enough to notice. I'll check the plugs later today after some riding and post the results.

Where do you guys find spark plug wrenches with walls thin enough to get to the #2 and #3 plugs? I've bought two now that are too thick. I've had to go to the Triumph shop up the street to use their home-made thin walled sockets. :(

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:45 pm

The stock plug wrench is the best.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

lagronethedestroyer

Postby lagronethedestroyer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 pm

cb650 wrote:The stock plug wrench is the best.

I'll check it out.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 pm

That's odd. I've read so much about people having various trouble getting to the 2 and 3 plugs. I bought a regular deep well 18mm socket from Advance AutoParts and I've never had a problem.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

lagronethedestroyer

Postby lagronethedestroyer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:46 am

Folsoml wrote:That's odd. I've read so much about people having various trouble getting to the 2 and 3 plugs. I bought a regular deep well 18mm socket from Advance AutoParts and I've never had a problem.

I think the one I bought was from an Autozone. It's a Duralast... Perhaps yours is a different brand and slightly thinner? Mine won't even fit through the initial gap to get down to where the spark plugs live. Guess I'll just man up and buy the $18 socket from the Honda dealership

Return to “General Discussion”