drum brake

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

saber

Re: drum brake

Postby saber » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 am

The caliper was removed, cleaned and replaced in the master cylinder with a new kit. If that is what you mean. Even if I disconnected the hose, shouldn't fluid move through the mater cylinder when you release and depress your lever. I know the whole system has a lot of air because it was apart to when I installed it on the bike.

Mainerider

Postby Mainerider » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:19 pm

saber wrote:The caliper was removed, cleaned and replaced in the master cylinder with a new kit. If that is what you mean. Even if I disconnected the hose, shouldn't fluid move through the mater cylinder when you release and depress your lever. I know the whole system has a lot of air because it was apart to when I installed it on the bike.

To clarify, did you bring them the brake caliper assembly ( mounts to the fork slider ) ? If yes, did they dissasemble it and clean it thoroughly?

Regarding the master cylinder rebuild, I'm not saying this is the case but I run across more bad repair work than good repair work; there is no assurance that they installed everything properly. I take a lot of pride in never having had a bike come back to me due to me taking shortcuts, negligence or incompetence...

Are you using a vacuum bleeder on the caliper bleeder valve or are you just putting fluid into the master rservoir and trying to pump it through the system by squeezing the brake lever?

saber

Postby saber » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:56 pm

I took the brake assembly on the front fork to them with the line and master cylinder. They said they blew out the brake assembly. I am not sure how much they took apart.
Have been just using the handle lever and filling the reservior. I am not familiar with suction bleeding.

Mainerider

Postby Mainerider » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:52 pm

saber wrote:I took the brake assembly on the front fork to them with the line and master cylinder. They said they blew out the brake assembly. I am not sure how much they took apart.
Have been just using the handle lever and filling the reservior. I am not familiar with suction bleeding.

It is really hard to pinpoint this from a distance; It could be:

The return hole in the master reservoir is blocked.
The master cylinder was improperly rebuilt.
The brake line is clogged or collapsed.
The caliper is clogged up.

Or... you just need a "jump start" with the bleeding of the air. Go to your local auto parts store, buy a brake vacuum bleeder kit (about $30 ) and hook it up to the bleeder valve on the caliper and try "pulling" the fluid through the brake system, making sure that you don't let more air in by letting the fluid drain completely in the master reservoir. See your Clymer for the full procedure.
Last edited by Mainerider on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saber

Postby saber » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks for all the input Mainerider. The vacuum bleed sounds like the way to go to get things started. I'll give that a try. Is there anything to be concerned about using this method?

Mainerider

Postby Mainerider » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm happy to help out. No concerns; thus is how I bleed most of the bikes that I service. Just follow the Clymer on the brake bleeding procedure and you will be fine; just be sure your bleeder hose has a snug fit around the bleeder valve before you open the valve, to prevent air from leaking back in through the bleeder valve. Also, pump your vacuum gun a few times before you crack the bleeder valve open in order to create a low pressure vacuum. A basic bleeder kit is fine; it looks like a plastic gun with a transparent plastic catch bottle. A $30 or so version is fine and is a good thing to have in your shop anyway.

saber

Postby saber » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:00 am

Working on the front brakes, I took the brake and master cylinder to the local bike shop. ( single disk on 79 CB650 ). Got it back after he said he cleaned out the system. I worked on it for two days trying to draw brake fluid through the system but could not get any to flow.
Then took it back to the bike shop to get the bike inspected (first time in 12 years ) and the front brake fixed. He called and said that he can't fix the brake, can't get the parts needed and gave it back to me.
At this point I took Mainerider up on his offer to help. Packed the master cylinder, line and brake into a box and mailed it to him. He did an excellent job getting me a new master cylinder and cleaning the line and brake. Got it back within a week and installed it on the bike. Filling it up with brake fluid was easy, no problems at all. Everything works great.
Thanks Mainerider for a job well done.

Return to “General Discussion”