Could it be? My bike is finally running again?!

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

DammitDan

Could it be? My bike is finally running again?!

Postby DammitDan » Mon May 22, 2006 10:47 pm

I seem to have almost finished the CB650 multi-model multi-year monstrosity. I just got the new petcock for my new (old) black tank, and it will go on tomorrow. And all this after tearing the engine down to fix a leaky headgasket almost two years ago. It ran intermittently last spring and summer, then I tore it back down again because I crossthreaded a spark plug hole beyond repair.

And now after being off the road for most of fall, all of winter, and most of spring, the thing is 95% complete. All that is left is re-adjusting the tappets and cam chain, putting in new fork oil, and changing the motor oil in the engine. And to make things even sweeter, I just installed brand new MAC 4-1 black powdercoat headers and a chrome muffler, some chrome Emgo bar-end mirrors and brand new Bridgestone Spitfire tires. Every time I go down to the basement I just have to stare at it for a few seconds and take in all the beautiful accomplishment. And tomorrow, I shall ride it again for the first time in more than nine months.

This is after taking apart the top end, installing a new head, cross-threading ANOTHER spark plug in the NEW head (not my fault this time!), taking it apart again, installing brand new gaskets and a re-machined head with a repaired spark plug hole, watching as it peed gasoline all over the place, taking apart the carbs not once but TWICE, and finally deciding to scrap the carbs I was using (the leaky seal would have required completely disassembling the carb bodies, which is difficult to put back together again) and install the set I had from my parts bike. Ahhh, it ran. And it had no problems with petrol incontinence.

I'll post some pics of the new and improved bike tomorrow. The blacked out RC05 look with spoked wheels, 4-1 exhaust and GP bars is just scrumptious! :twisted:

Volker_P

RE: Could it be? My bike is finally running again?!

Postby Volker_P » Tue May 23, 2006 12:47 am

That's good news, after all the trouble you went through.
Good luck for you that it keeps on running fine this time!

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Tue May 23, 2006 7:10 am

That's fantastic news! Hope the first ride is a good one on some open road and not stuck behind a log truck. Oh wait, maybe that's just Wisconsin.
'99 1500 Drifter

Robert

Postby Robert » Tue May 23, 2006 5:56 pm

Way to go!
:D

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed May 24, 2006 1:49 am

Congratulations! Time to enjoy the ride.
1980 CB650c

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:52 pm

My 80 made vroom vroom noises today. Needs more work but started up. An amazing feet considering the mechanic!!!!

Terry

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:03 pm

CB650s unite! :D

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:47 am

Another 650 back on the road. :D

Return to “General Discussion”