New to motorcycles, and the forum

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

neohistory

New to motorcycles, and the forum

Postby neohistory » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:55 am

Greetings to everyone. Newbie here looking to get some advice. There is a bike ive found on craigslist. 82 nighthawk 650. This would be my first bike. I have done some of my own auto repairs so I think i would be able to study the material to get the know how for fixing. Question is: an 82 with 18k on the trip. What matters is service records and how well it was taken care of. What could I expect I'd be getting myself into? The description sounds good, pictures look great. He states there is leaking in one of the carbs. I saw in the post he mentions (4 in to 1.) Is this where the leak is ocurring? Has anyone had to repair this and what were your costs like? Thanks for reading.

cb650

Re: New to motorcycles, and the forum

Postby cb650 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:45 pm

4-1 will describe the exhaust. Originally it had a 4-4. Make sure the tank is in good shape. They are very hard to find. Other than that its the usual 650 problems you can see in different threads. The leak could be anything. Hard to say one thing.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

cmouta

Postby cmouta » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Welcome! I was in the same boat last year. familiar with autos, unfamiliar with motorcycles and I had also picked up an 82 650 nighthawk for cheap along with the Clymer manual. Carbs had sat for 10 years so I rebuilt them with Keyster KH-1078N at 35 bucks each x4. I wanted to replace as much possible with new hardware. See if you can find out what kind of leak it is and let us know!
Chris

1982 Candy Flair Blue Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
2006 Bajaj Chetak 4T with scooterworks usa sidecar
2013 Fiat 500C Abarth
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti T5 MT

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:44 am

Welcome here! :D
Leaky carbs could just need a slight hit with a piece of wood on the floater bowl or a complete rebuild.
E.g. cracked "vacuum tee" is a typical issue for carb leakage, too.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

cgswss10

Postby cgswss10 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:12 am

with that low of mileage, you know this bike did a lot of sitting.

its an almost sure thing the carbs need to be rebuilt.

Its a good bet that the tank has rust inside, I would be thinking of sealing the tank and putting a fuel filter inline.

I would take a compression gauge along to see what the motor looks like.

Personally, the closer to stock, the better I would feel. If it has 4 in to one and stacks (instead of the stock air box) I personally would not pay more then about $650 for it. If he wants more then that, maybe he should track down the carb problem before he sells it.

Craig

Return to “General Discussion”