There goes the neighborhood

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

DammitDan

There goes the neighborhood

Postby DammitDan » Wed May 24, 2006 10:41 pm

The new exhaust sounds mean. Unfortunately the clicking and clacking of the engine almost deafens it out. I adjusted the tappets and cam chain tensioner twice, but it's still clicking away as though I hadn't done a thing. I don't think it used to be this loud... But then again, I haven't ridden it in so long that I can't remember what it's SUPPOSED to sound like. We'll see what happens when I sync the carbs tomorrow... It should get rid of the clutch rattle at least, but I don't think it will fix the loud valve noise (if that's what it is).

On another note, the exhaust spews a little puff of white smoke whenever I rev up the engine. :( It's either bad rings or something else... I'm thinking bad rings but hoping for something more mundane. Guess I'll go get the compression leakdown tester and hope I don't have to break the top end down again for the sixth time in a year and a half.

Any ideas on what these problems could be?

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Thu May 25, 2006 12:09 am

Does it rattle and smoke after you have warmed the engine up completely ?
The tappets usually makes some noise when the engine is cold, but when it get's warm it usually goes away. And it's the same thing with a noisy camchain if it isn't properly tensioned. When you start it cold it will sound as if the tappets are clicking, or as if you have a major exhaust leak from the cylinder head exhaust ports. It usually goes away when the engine warms up.
And the smoke could be condensation.

A carb synch can make wonders to a noise from the clutch and the primary drive. :)

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Thu May 25, 2006 7:40 am

Yeah, I had been riding for about 30 minutes when I noticed I was still emitting a puff of white smoke when I revved it up. And when I was done I did a header check 1 2 and 3 were all scalding hot but #4 was just very very warm.... I have a feeling that's where my problem lies. Wierd thing is, before I went on this first extended ride it was getting just as hot as all the other ones.

I guess if there's oil getting past the rings on #4 there's a possibility it fouled the plug, too. I'm gonna pick up new plugs and see what the old ones look like when I pull them. Just as long as I don't crossthread ANOTHER spark plug! :D

The rattle remains the same volume no matter how long it's been running. I can remember when the thing just used to whirrrr beautifully, the only thing you could hear was the soft buzz of the cam chain. Now it click and clattles down the road like a bucket of (rusty) bolts.

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Thu May 25, 2006 7:41 pm

Hmmm, the carb sync did wonders for the clutch rattle and throttle response, but it didn't fix the smoke or the rocker arm clacking. Maybe I'm just doing the tappet job wrong... It has been a long time sitting in my parents' basement.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:03 am

Did you get the adjuster and guid in correctly for the cam chain. I know on one of my rebuilds it was noisey untill I took it back apart.

Terry

Return to “General Discussion”