new member with a 80 cb850

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

simple1

new member with a 80 cb850

Postby simple1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi All,

I am a new member with 1980 Honda cb650 that i acquired earlier this year. I've ridden the CB for approx 2000 miles only but I have been riding for the past 15 years, starting with a yamaha rd150, suzuki 89 gs550, honda 81 cm400, suzuki 82 gs1100ez (red), 82 gs850L , 82 gs1100ez (champagne) and now the CB.

From the very few bikes that i have owned, the 82 gs1100ez is definitely my favorite. I learnt alot from those 80s suzuki bikes that i have applied to the CB.

I am the 3rd owner of this CB with 2nd owner only owning it for less than 2 years. When i got it, it ran ok. I performed the regular maintenance items, spark plugs, seafoam/b12, airbox cover mod, 35w headlight bulb and it is running nice but has room for improvement. I have to use the choke for the first 10 minutes or so after that its good no choke needed.

Spark plugs - it was a pain finding the tool to remove the spark plugs! It came to me eventually; just use a socket that fits in the slot and then dremel the insides to fit the spark plug. duh!!

seafoam - this is the real deal. got the spray kind and went to town by spraying it in the carb. It was smokey alright but makes a difference for sure.(do the spark plugs after seafoam )

B12 chemtool - I didn't take the carbs off, just ran 5-8 tanks with lots of b12. carbs are clean.

Airbox cover mod - i read about this mod, went to TAP Plastics, had them cut me a 7x7 Black ABS sheet and then dremeled the sheet with the airbox cover as a guide. This is the best thing i did to this bike. It goes all the way to red line with no issues which was not the case when i got it, it stumbled at ~5k rpms usually.

Ignitors - replaced the oems with the electosport ones, made it run smoother.

35w headlight - The 65w headlight bulb which is one of the problems in this whole CB charging equation. got the housing and 35w bulb from ebay.

Carb air-fuel mixture screws - one of the o-rings were missing! i was losing faith in the bike because i couldn't get it to idle right before, no wonder! no matter how small those o-rings are, they make a difference.

Thanks - i read alot on this forum and thank you for the knowledge all of you have contributed.

here are some pics:

usbear

Re: new member with a 80 cb850

Postby usbear » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 pm

B12 chemtool - I didn't take the carbs off, just ran 5-8 tanks with lots of b12. carbs are clean.

So to get to the Point:

1) BUll Shit

Quit taking the easy way out
, pull your Carbs.
They WILL NOT SELF CLEAN.
They need cleaning, the right way. Or do you want to fight this some more?

2)Good looking Bike same year as mine! Very Nice work
3)I like my gs 1000 also but enjoy the cb650c more for run around.

Many good helpful members here so help coming your way. If you don't want to clean and set your carb then send it off. Some professional people this site just ask.
But your statements show that you don't understand the problem with these carbs.
There is a post on carb cleaning that you can find from the main forum menu. It will walk you through the process. But Sonic cleaning(professionally) is the correct answer. Then keep them clean.
Did I say you are ignorant? No!
Its just a problem with our poor fuel and the varnish that it leaveS behind, plus the winter mixture, we just have crappy fuel and it plugs carb passageways. The low speed passageways get crap in the also

4) And Finally PULL YOUR CARB AND CLEAN THEM

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:38 am

Welcome here! :D

Bike looks good.

10 mins of choke seems too much. So I also doubt your carbs are clean.
If you clean the carbs, consider to clean the tank before that. :wink:

Your bulb issue is probably a hint to a charging problem.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:53 am

Welcome here! Nice looking bike!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

cheezmonta

Postby cheezmonta » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:10 pm

The cup holder is epic. Thinking about doing something like that on my bike now.
1979 CB650 *New Ride*
1985 CB650 *Sold*
http://imgur.com/a/uFWHP#0

simple1

Postby simple1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:00 am

The weather is too nice up here in norcal to be breaking down the carbs. Its been in the low 80s all week!

There is a learning curve in doing something the first time and i'm not ready to take up carb rebuilt right now. I've already done so much reading about the cb650 in the past 3 months, i'm heading towards burn out. The tank appears to be clean and rust free but I put in an inline filter anyhow. No carb cleaning right now, just ridin' :mrgreen:

I do have the carb rebuilt kits already, the 4 for $48 on ebay and i'll probably send the carbs in for the sonic cleaning that I've read about once rainy season arrives, sometime in December.

Cup holder is nice and i'm looking to install a small speaker next.

Please see the screw below; is this the carb sync screw?

Thanks

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:36 am

Yes, here a vacuum nipple for carb synchronization may be inserted instead of this screw.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “General Discussion”