Cleaning an Assembled Cylinder Head, Head Cover, & Jugs

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

lewiszman

Cleaning an Assembled Cylinder Head, Head Cover, & Jugs

Postby lewiszman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi everyone

I'm new here. I have a 79 CB650. I've pulled the engine and will be replacing top end gaskets. While I'm at it, I'd like to thoroughly clean the cylinder head and cover, and jugs. I don't want to disassemble the any of these components (valve train, etc).

What is the best method to clean these components at home? I have access to an air compressor and powerwasher...

Step by step for degreasing, gasket removal, and paint removal, and drying methods please...

Lewis

kstylian

Re: Cleaning an Assembled Cylinder Head, Head Cover, & Jugs

Postby kstylian » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:37 pm

If you have a power washer at your disposal, I'd pull the engine, cover the intake and exhaust ports (stuff with rags and cover with duct tape), slather on your favorite degreaser (mine is Castrol Super Clean and let soak for a bit) and blast away. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed. Keep the all the auxiliary covers (valve, stator/rotor, timing, starter, etc.) in place as to not let any water enter the engine. This will do a great job of cleaning the engine of grime/dirt. Once all the gunk is gone, you can fine polish bits as needed.

Drying: Let sit in the sun
Gaskets: Use some gasket removal solvent and carefully scrape with a razor blade/gasket removal scraper.
Paint: What on the engine is painted? Typically the aux covers (valve, stator/rotor, timing, etc.) have a clear coat from the factory that can be removed with an aerosol aircraft remover. Do this off the engine.

lewiszman

Postby lewiszman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:45 am

kstylian wrote:If you have a power washer at your disposal, I'd pull the engine, cover the intake and exhaust ports (stuff with rags and cover with duct tape), slather on your favorite degreaser (mine is Castrol Super Clean and let soak for a bit) and blast away. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed. Keep the all the auxiliary covers (valve, stator/rotor, timing, starter, etc.) in place as to not let any water enter the engine. This will do a great job of cleaning the engine of grime/dirt. Once all the gunk is gone, you can fine polish bits as needed.

Drying: Let sit in the sun
Gaskets: Use some gasket removal solvent and carefully scrape with a razor blade/gasket removal scraper.
Paint: What on the engine is painted? Typically the aux covers (valve, stator/rotor, timing, etc.) have a clear coat from the factory that can be removed with an aerosol aircraft remover. Do this off the engine.

Hi thanks for your reply.

What I meant was... The cylinder head cover is taken off the engine. as well as the cylinder head. Is it a good idea/how can i clean these parts individually, without further disassembling them? (i.e., removing valves, springs, rockers).

The previous owner (or whoever worked on the engine) painted the engine black... they didnt mask the gasket mating surfaces so there is paint there. I dont know for sure, but to me that sounds like a really bad idea. Should I leave that there and install a new gasket over the paint (once cleaned) or strip the paint first?

Also, tips on decarbonizing the intake/exhaust ports?

Thanks
Lewis

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:22 am

I would strip the paint. This seems no defined and reliable kind of sealant.

One can scratch carbon with a piece of wood. Carbon in intake would be strange.

If it looks wet around the the valve stems in the ports, replace the valve stem seals.
They are cheap and I would do that in any case if I had it open and some other reason to remove the valves. But do not remove the valve guides just to replace their seals!
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “General Discussion”