CB650 running tail lights & LED Lights help?

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

lewiszman

CB650 running tail lights & LED Lights help?

Postby lewiszman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi everyone

I bought my 79 CB650 with the brake lights removed, so I don't know whether it has running lights in the rear or not. Can someone chime in?

The reason I ask is because I want to install an LED light strip that has running/brake/turn lights in one flexible strip for a minimal look while still being street legal.

Can anyone advise me on how to wire LED products to the bike, or is it exactly the same as wiring a non-LED light on the bike? The product I'm looking at is: http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.asp?p ... prevnext=1

The site says that a Run/Brake/Turn module is required for certain bikes... I have no idea whether CB650 is equipped with this already.

Your help is appreciated, thanks!
Lewis

Plox

Re: CB650 running tail lights & LED Lights help?

Postby Plox » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:28 pm

My 1980 CB650c has rear running lights. The headlight, front turn signal lights, and rear brake light are all running lights. Only the rear turn signals are not running lights.

saber

Postby saber » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:40 pm

same with my 79

tracejm

Postby tracejm » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:59 pm

I think all years had running lights as the tail light and separate turn signals that did not have running lights.

Regarding wiring and whether you need the run-turn-brake controller, it really depends on what you are trying to replace. From the description of the Honda controller on that website:

What is does:
This unit will convert your stock single filament or single circuit motorcycle rear turn signals into attention getting running lights. Plus, when brakes are applied rear turn signal lights illuminate as additional brake lights. If a turn signal is applied, it has priority over the brake light function on the side that is selected. If the turn signal is canceled and the brakes are still applied, the brake light function of the turn signal lights illuminate steady on.

You do have single filament turn signal bulbs in the rear (assuming no modifications have been made to your bike).

I imagine what you're trying to do is to get rid of the turn signals and the brake lights and replace both with the dual sided LED you linked to. In that case, you do need the controller listed - you'll take your existing wiring to the tail light and turn signals and route it to the controller box.

If you're just trying to replace the tail light with the LED strip, you don't need the controller. It should wire up just fine.

Thanks for the post - I'm going to think about this same thing (or at least similar)....

Return to “General Discussion”