Calling Germany and Austria

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

mojoblues

Calling Germany and Austria

Postby mojoblues » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:47 am

Hi, I'm in need of a new complete engine for my cb650z rc03. The engine on my bike needs repairs that would cost me too much (it would be done by mechanic). My mechanic said it would be cheaper and easier and quicker to buy a "new" engine that is in better shape, than just switch with mine.

In Croatia the market is really small so I have to look towards Germany and Austria. Even there I can find only complete bikes (autoscout.de, mobile.de), I don't know where to turn for engine only, and how can I check if it's in good condition.

I have two options:
1. to find engine only, put it on my bike and drive. In that case, I'm left with extra engine on which I can practice my future mechanic abilities :) and have some spare parts as well.
2. to buy a complete bike (I could test it at the local mechanic or honda service), change the engine, change all the parts that are better and sell the extra parts (and get some money back)
Second option seems better to me, since maybe I could get some money back, change more things and get some extras (some are selling with hard bags etc).
Does anybody know some websites I can look at, dealers or people that might be selling it? Any info or ideas are welcomed :)
'79 cb650z RC03

usbear

Re: Calling Germany and Austria

Postby usbear » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:17 pm

What is shipping like to your country?
There is always E-Bay sites.

mojoblues

Postby mojoblues » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:07 am

For heavy stuff, it does cost a lot. I was thinking I can check the engine and pick it up myself, it's not too far to organise the transport.
'79 cb650z RC03

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:05 am

So how do you intend to check an engine alone?
All you maybe can do is have a look into the oil pan and turn the crankshaft with a wrench feeling for four more or less equal compressions.
Better get a complete bike with still running engine and sell the parts you don't need.
I got an engine that way many years ago from an accident CB. The money from selling the parts gave me the engine almost for free so I basically only had to pay for the trip. :wink:
And no, I don't sell anything for now.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

mojoblues

Postby mojoblues » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:33 am

Volker, I've just read about your accident! Sorry to hear that, I hope you'll have a good and fast recovery.
On the subject of my bike, I have decided to look for a complete bike, for all of the above reasons.
Thanx
'79 cb650z RC03

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:22 am

Thanks for the good wishes, I'll do my best.
Hope you find a suitable bike at a resonable price. This seems not that easy any more even in Germany.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “General Discussion”