Rear Wheel Offset/Not Centered

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

lewiszman

Rear Wheel Offset/Not Centered

Postby lewiszman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a 79 CB650. I recently purchased a spoked rear wheel (17X2.5) off eBay that was listed as an 83 Nighthawk 650.

But I am quite confident it was listed incorrectly is an actually a rear wheel off an 80-82 CB650.

I have already removed the 79 rear wheel, and installed the new spoke wheel using the 79 flange, brake drum and spacers. I did this just to mock it up. Everything installed fine except for one thing:

The rear wheel is offset to the left by about 1 cm (ballpark).

So I have a few questions to figure out why this might be happening:

1. Are there any other Honda wheels that would fit this way? I'm thinking it might not actually be from another CB650, maybe a 750 or something. It is a 17X2.5 rear wheel with a 4.50.

2. Will the 79 flange, brake drum, spacers fit properly on 80-82 rear wheel? Or will I need to use the respective items with the wheel from that year?

3. I installed the rear wheel with the sidestand (centerstand was chopped when i bought the bike). Would this cause misalignment this severe? The axle nut is tightened.

4. Could the chain tensioners cause this much misalignment when not dialed in properly?

Thanks for your help!
Lewis

Folsoml

Re: Rear Wheel Offset/Not Centered

Postby Folsoml » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:47 pm

It is always a crap shoot when you start mixing and matching parts. Slight differences from year to year can add up to a lot. I know this does not help, but it's all I have. Someone will be along shortly who is smarter than me in this regard.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Its a crap shoot on what you got. no nitehawk in 83 had a spoke wheel stock. A 82 standard did. no standard in 83 though.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:05 pm

The flange is different between the 79-82 comstar, and 80-82 wire wheels, but is likely due to the difference between the natural aluminum of the wire wheel, and the painted black of the comstar wheel.

The rear brake panel shows a different part number also, but is likely due to the difference between the natural aluminum of the wire wheel, and the painted black of the comstar wheel.

All other collars, and spacers are the same between the wheels.

Where are you measuring the offset. Wheel, or Hub?
The offset is most likely due to the rim being laced offset to the hub.

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:17 pm

cb650 wrote:no nitehawk in 83 had a spoke wheel stock.

83 nitehawk was a shaftie with a cast wheel. No chance of fitting to the 79-82 chain drives.

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info

Stable

lewiszman

Postby lewiszman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:35 pm

MiGhost wrote:The flange is different between the 79-82 comstar, and 80-82 wire wheels, but is likely due to the difference between the natural aluminum of the wire wheel, and the painted black of the comstar wheel.

The rear brake panel shows a different part number also, but is likely due to the difference between the natural aluminum of the wire wheel, and the painted black of the comstar wheel.

All other collars, and spacers are the same between the wheels.

Where are you measuring the offset. Wheel, or Hub?
The offset is most likely due to the rim being laced offset to the hub.

Ghost

Hi ghost

Thanks for your reply and info! Good to know that the spacers are the same... It may be worthwhile to find a cheap 82 flange and brake panel to see if that solves the issue?

I didn't actually measure the offsfet but its just observable from eyeballing the tire to the rest of the bike. What are the correct methods of measuring offset?

Thanks
Lewis

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:45 pm

lewiszman wrote:I didn't actually measure the offsfet but its just observable from eyeballing the tire to the rest of the bike. What are the correct methods of measuring offset?

With the wheel in support stands. Measure from the stand to the rim, and from stand to hub, Compare between the two wheels. The swingarm can be used as a stand also.

It is deffiantely possible to lace a wheel offset, but it is usually done to increase clearance at the chain. Not reduce it.

If the wheel will bolt into the swing arm. Check for clearance at the chain/chain guard. Anything over 1/4" (6-8mm) should be good.

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info

Stable

Return to “General Discussion”