New guy signing in.

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Spyug53

New guy signing in.

Postby Spyug53 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:29 am

New to Hondas but with a background in Yamahas and Suzukis currently riding an 85 Yamaha FZ750 and about to take possession of and refurb a CB650. I'm not even sure of the year but it was owned by a buddy and has been in deep hibernation for over 10 years. We did some work on it earlier in the year but never got it to run properly. He got a new ride last year, lost interest in her and just wanted this one out of the garage so now she's mine.

As I mentioned, I have been into bikes for 11 seasons now and have restored and or refurbished an XS 400, XV500 Virago, XS650 (Street Tracker conversion), GS 450, 500 and 750 and this year the FZ750, so this will be my first Honda.

I'm not sure what direction I'll take with it. It is complete and stock so I'll likely leave it that way other than perhaps changing the bars. I must admit, however, that I like some of the cafes I've seen so I may go that direction. My only caveat on that would be coming up with a comfortable seat since the XS Tracker seat caused me a sciatic nerve injury that put me out of commission for over a year and still plagues me from time to time 6 years later. We'll see.

While I have a wealth of wrenching experience going back about 45 + years, I am no expert and as our friend Witttom can attest (from a couple of other boards we both frequent) am known to create some of my own dilemmas from time to time as you are all sure to find out.

I'm looking forward to this and will post some pics when I pick her up shortly.

Cheers all,
Spyug
"Slowest beasts are always strongest and Manage to live the longest".
"If it's no Scottish, it's crap".

Folsoml

Re: New guy signing in.

Postby Folsoml » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Welcome! You sound well qualified to work on the CB650. You've already met witttom, so you've got a good source there for parts.

Good luck!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Volker_P

Re: New guy signing in.

Postby Volker_P » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:17 am

Welcome here! :D

Spyug53 wrote: My only caveat on that would be coming up with a comfortable seat since the XS Tracker seat caused me a sciatic nerve injury that put me out of commission for over a year and still plagues me from time to time 6 years later.

Unfortunately I have some idea what you are talking about.
The seat position/knee angle of a CB650 seems not really favorable for that. So I doubt that different handlebars will already do the job. My recommendation would be an Enduro or something that offers a similar riding position.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “General Discussion”