Addicted to Motorcycling

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Chris

Addicted to Motorcycling

Postby Chris » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:50 pm

Ok, I believe this newbie is officially addicted to motorcycling. Today's forecast called for severe thunderstorms throughout the afternoon. I checked the doppler radar and sure enough, there was a big nasty front coming through and it was pouring rain outside. My wife called me about 15min. before I usually leave for work and asked if I was gonna ride my bike in. I said, "Yeah, I'm gonna try if it stops raining long enough." She said, "I wish you wouldn't." I said, "I've been waiting all weekend to ride my bike(because my son is here for the summer and I had to keep him entertained all weekend) and I'm gonna ride to work if I can."

When it came time for me to leave, the rain had slowed to a sprinkle and I hurried to put on my stuff and bungee my lunchbox to the sissy bar. I got about 3 blocks and it began to rain harder. Or was it just because I was going faster? I kept going. About another mile down the road and I got caught in a friggin downpour. A mile beyond that, as the rain ran down the seat and into my crotch I reluctantly turned around and headed back toward the house. I could feel the rain starting to get into my workboots and down the collar of my leather jacket. Dammit, I really wanted to ride! Even though I was thoroughly soaked, it felt especially good after yesterday's 95 degree weather. I should've been miserable but I had a smile on my face, partly because of the situation and partly because I really wasn't bothered by it at all. But I couldn't go to work soaking wet and I was genuinely pissed off that I would have to park the bike, change into some dry clothes and drive the truck to work.

I parked the bike in the garage, hung my gloves on the grips to dry out and went inside and changed my clothes. By the time I'd hung my boots out to dry and went back outside to the truck it was back to a light drizzle. On the way to work I looked upwind and saw blue sky. Yeah, the sun came out and the roads dried off and I was depressed for the rest of the day because I was gonna miss out on my ride home from work. :(

Is it wierd that I don't mind going to work nearly as much as I used to just because I get to ride my bike for a few minutes to and from? Is it a bad thing that my wife and daughter try to give me a guilt trip for neglecting my truck by leaving it parked for over a week at a time since I got the bike on the road? Am I nuts for thinking that I need to find a good rainsuit rather than drive the truck to work on days like this and that I'm seriously considering cold weather gear so I can ride in winter too? I should've started motorcycling years ago :D
1980 CB650c

Vatch

Re: Addicted to Motorcycling

Postby Vatch » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:02 am

Chris wrote:Is it wierd that I don't mind going to work nearly as much as I used to just because I get to ride my bike for a few minutes to and from? Is it a bad thing that my wife and daughter try to give me a guilt trip for neglecting my truck by leaving it parked for over a week at a time since I got the bike on the road? Am I nuts for thinking that I need to find a good rainsuit rather than drive the truck to work on days like this and that I'm seriously considering cold weather gear so I can ride in winter too? I should've started motorcycling years ago :D

Let me see if I get this straight. You look forward to going to work because you can ride your bike and your questioning whether it's a bad thing? :roll: Chris, I believe you have been baptised in the name of the 1st cylinder, the second cylinder, and the the third and forth. :lol:

Over the years when I've had a long communte just thinking about the ride home helps get me through the day. It's also to get the comments like, "It's raining. Did you ride?" as you walk into work wearing riding gear and carrying a helmet. Starts the day off with laugh.
'99 1500 Drifter

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:39 am

Vatch wrote:Over the years when I've had a long communte just thinking about the ride home helps get me through the day. It's also to get the comments like, "It's raining. Did you ride?" as you walk into work wearing riding gear and carrying a helmet. Starts the day off with laugh.

Yeah, that's really funny. Recently I also was seriously asked wether I came by bicycle when I was wearing my heavy black leather clothing including the boots and all at about 25°C. :lol:

To Chris: don't worry, enjoy it! As soon as you notice that you do not really have to do that, it is a sure sign you get old. :wink:
Well, I think at least I start to get old. Since last year, I have my CB registered only in summer. If it goes on like that, in some years I might even consider to register my car again. :P

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:51 am

Welcome as a member of the declared addicts. :D

nickjtc

Addicted to motorcycling

Postby nickjtc » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:37 pm

Rain gear can be quite inexpensive, and doesn't need to take up too much room. You are lucky that you have the opportunity to ride to work (a ride 'built in' every day) so I think you should enjoy every opportunity for jumping on the bike!

I made the whole issue easy for myself in that I do not own four wheels. So it's a case of ride or borrow the wife's car. In the summer it's an easy choice!
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650
1971 Norton Commando
1968 CB175

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:12 pm

Hehe, my truck broke down this past weekend, so I'm down to the 2-wheeler for a while also :) Of course I still have the option of sharing the Wife's vehicle as well. No worries as long as I get the truck back on the road by the time the snow flies.
1980 CB650c

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:03 am

:lol: Do I have to put it up for winter? Couldn't I just get some snow tires for it and a block heater for improved cold starts? :lol: Dammit, I'm running out of time to ride. The days are getting shorter and the leaves will be changing soon. It's not gonna feel right driving a car to work. I'm gonna be going through withdrawal soon and I don't think it'll be pretty.
1980 CB650c

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:19 pm

Chris wrote::lol: Do I have to put it up for winter? Couldn't I just get some snow tires for it and a block heater for improved cold starts? :lol: Dammit, I'm running out of time to ride. The days are getting shorter and the leaves will be changing soon. It's not gonna feel right driving a car to work. I'm gonna be going through withdrawal soon and I don't think it'll be pretty.

Wrap rope around the tyres for tyre chains and get steel soled boots so you can keep your feet down as outriggers. Insulated snowmobile clothing, gloves and boots, with a heated-visor helmet and you're good to go; assuming that is, that you can actually sit down in all the gear, shift the gears and work the handlebar controls....

Easier still, attach a sidecar to the bike for the winter, fit remote controls and ride in the sidecar itself.

Or, just like the rest of us, spend a winter fettling the bike, or even just looking at it over a favourit beverage, making plans about what you will do next year.

Hereabouts the season is rapidly coming to an end. We get our spirits re-awakened in January when the annual Vancouver motorcycle show takes place and we make the pilgrimage (on 4 wheels) to the coast to see the latest stuff, and maybe pick up super bargains on apparel and helemts. There is usually a display of classic bikes there too, to cater for the likes of us.

Then it's home again and the wait for the end of March when the weather gets bearable enough to dig the bike out and make those first few glorious, but tentative rides....

1979 CB650

1971 Norton Commando

1968 CB175

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:59 pm

The question about the block heaters is a good one. As my more modern 1999 Kawasaki is for sale, I wonder about winter rides on the 650 and cold starts. The Kawasaki is nice for winter riding with the EFI and heated hand grips I installed.

I bet I could put together a block heater running off an extra car battery. A low watt (15 to 25) resistor attached to the oil pan might work. Put it on a timer to turn on a two hours before the morning ride. Hmmm.
'99 1500 Drifter

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:01 pm

Vatch wrote:I bet I could put together a block heater running off an extra car battery. A low watt (15 to 25) resistor attached to the oil pan might work. Put it on a timer to turn on a two hours before the morning ride. Hmmm.

That's taking enthusiasm to aplane way above the call of duty!!!

1979 CB650

1971 Norton Commando

1968 CB175

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:39 am

When I had my CB the first years it was my only motorcycle and I also ran it in winter.
Sometimes I used an old electric blanket to do some pre-heating of the engine. :D
No joke!

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:40 am

How many Watts did the blanket produce, and how well did it work?
'99 1500 Drifter

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:02 am

It was a commercial electric blanket for usage in bed from my grandparents. :D It should have typical power data of these things which I however do not know. I will check out whether I still have it, I can have a look for the sticker to find out power. As heating from outside with bad thermal contact is far from being optimal, there are probably much better solutions, I just used what I had.
To the effect: At least I managed to start without an external battery and my engine passed 100000km last week still with first pistons and bearings.
But possibly the basic effect was to have a clean conscience for myself. :lol:

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:07 am

I was thinking of mounting something like this on the oil pan

25W with a good metal to metal connection to maximize conductance :idea:
'99 1500 Drifter

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:36 am

Looks fine, its worth a try. However if you only heat the oil pan, winter starting still will be a problem as I guess rather lean mixture than easy cranking is the problem. My heated blanket covered the whole engine from below and the loss heat was caught below another blanket that covered the CB front part. This provided also some heating to the carbs which I consider essential to overcome the well known bad cold starting behaviour of the CB650.
Maybe you can mount a hairdryer on a stand that blows some minutes on the carbs / carbs boots just before you start while you disconnect the oil pan heater and get your clothing on. :D
Another helpful item for winter starting is to close the petcock some 100m before home to get the floater bowls empty after a ride. Fresh fuel will help for next cold start.

Return to “General Discussion”